How it Happened
Trailing 2-0 after dropping the first set 25-23 and the second 25-18, Rhode Island scored seven of the first 11 points in the third set to take an early lead. Yale later tied things up at 11-11, but a kill and an ace by Kylee Wolfe then gave the Rams the lead for good. Rhody extended its advantage to as many as five points (19-14) and finished the set on top 25-21.
Back-to-back Yale attack errors put URI ahead 10-9 in the fourth set, but the Bulldogs recovered with a 7-1 run that put them in front 17-11. Rhode Island mounted a steady comeback and eventually evened the score at 24-24 on a kill by Marie Gillcrist. Yale took the next point before another Gillcrist kill knotted it back up at 25-25. A bad set by the Bulldogs then gave Rhody set point at 26-25, but Yale closed things out with three straight points to win the set 28-26 and claim the match by a score of 3-1.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Marie Gillcrist let the Rams with 13 kills and seven blocks.
- Freshman Live Lunde Fossdal registered double-digit kills for the second match in a row, finishing with 11. She also recorded a team-high 14 digs.
- Junior Lauren Pick recorded a match-high 42 assists to go along with 10 digs and four blocks, including one solo. Through five matches, she now has a team-best two solos.
- Sophomore Jenna McGuire added eight kills, four blocks and three assists for the Rams.
- Senior Kylee Wolfe finished with nine digs and seven kills.
- As a team, the Rams had four service aces - one each by Pick, Lunde Fossdal, Wolfe and junior Olivia Budinich.
Stat of the Match
2 - Rhode Island had two players double-double in the match: junior Lauren Pick (42 assists/10 digs) and freshman Live Lunde Fossdal (11 kills/14 digs). Prior to this happening, the Rams had registered just one double-double through their first four matches.
The Rams wrap up play at the Yale Invitational with a 4:30 p.m. match agaisnt Delaware.