How it Happened
Rhode Island finished the weekend on a high note, sweeping Delaware 25-20, 25-19, 25-18 Saturday afternoon at the Yale Invitational.
Trailing 19-18 in the first set, the Rams (2-4) went on a 7-1 run to take the early set lead. Live Lunde Fossdal had a pair of kills during the run.
Rhody raced out early in the second set, opening with a 15-5 run and coasting to a 2-0 set lead. In the final set, the score was tied 14-14 before the Rams steadily pulled away down the stretch. The Rams opened a big lead with a 6-0 run that made it 20-14, and then traded points until a Kylee Wolfe kill followed by a Delaware attack error ended the match.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Live Lunde Fossdal recorded her second straight double-double, finishing with 10 kills and 10 digs.
- Senior Kylee Wolfe led the Rams with 11 kills and added nine digs. Wolfe also had three service aces.
- Junior Lauren Pick had 29 assists and seven digs. She also had a team-high six block assists.
- Senior Marie Gillcrist had five kills in seven total attacks with no errors, good for a match-high .714 hitting percentage.
- Junior Olivia Budinich had a team-high 12 digs. It was her fifth straight match with double-digit digs.
- Lunde Fossdal and Gillcrist were both named to the all-tournament team for Rhode Island.
Stat of the Match
.308 - Rhode Island hit .308 as a team in each of the first two sets, getting 25 kills with just nine errors.
The Rams come home to Keaney Gymnasium to host Marist, Northeastern and Columbia in the annual Art Carmichael Invitational. Matches will be played at 11 a.m., 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 8 and Saturday, Sept. 9.