How it Happened
Rhode Island (6-8, 1-1 A-10) controlled play throughout the majority of the first half, until a late run gave Davidson it's first lead at 21-20. The Wildcats pushed it 23-21, but Live Lunde Fossdal sandwiched a service ace between a pair of kills to give the Rams set point at 24-23. Rhody then claimed the set after an attack error by Davidson's Ciera Cockrell.
The Rams led by as many as six points (14-8) in the second set, but the Wildcats slowly clawed their way back and closed with a 7-1 run to win it 25-22.
Davidson (8-7, 1-1 A-10) rode the momentum into Set #3, using another 7-1 run to take an early lead. Rhode Island later reeled off 10 consecutive points with Marie Gillcrist serving to pull ahead 17-10. The two teams traded points the rest of the way with Rhody coming out on top 25-18.
The fourth set featured seven ties, but after the score was knotted at 17-17, Davidson scored five of the next six points to pull ahead 22-18. The Wildcats eventually won 25-20 and evened the match up at 2-2.
A kill by Rachel Lynne Cox put URI ahead 6-2 in the fifth and final set, but Davidson responded with a 7-1 push to move ahead 9-7. From there, the score was tied at 9-9, 10-10, 11-11, 12-12, 13-13, 14-14 and 15-15 before a Wildcat error gave the Rams match point for the first time. Kylee Wolfe followed with her 12th kill of the afternoon to seal the win for Rhode Island.
Inside the Box Score
- Four different players - seniors Rachel Lynne Cox and Kylee Wolfe, sophomore Jenna McGuire and freshman Live Lunde Fossdal - registered 12 kills in the win. It marked the first time this season the Rams had four players finish with double figures in the kills column.
- Wolfe picked up her second double-double of the season as she added 12 digs as well as three blocks and a service ace.
- Cox and Lunde Fossdal each had three blocks as well. Lunde Fossdal also contributed seven digs and a match-best three service aces.
- McGuire added four blocks for the Rams, while posting a .647 hitting percentage. Her 12 kills came with just one error on 17 total attacks.
- Senior Marie Gillcrist led all players with eight blocks. She also registered eight kills, six digs and a pair of service aces.
- Junior Lauren Pick finished with 53 assists, marking the third time the season she eclipses 50. She also added 14 digs for her team-leading sixth double-double of the season.
Stat of the Match
- 2 - Davidson had match point twice - at 14-13 and 15-14 - but Rhode Island evened the score at 14-14 and 15-15 before scoring the final two points to win the decisive set 17-15.
Rhode Island returns to Keaney Gym for a pair of Atlantic 10 matches next weekend. The Rams will host George Washington on Friday (7 p.m.) and George Mason on Saturday (4 p.m.)