How it Happened
In a rematch of last year's Atlantic 10 semifinal match, Rhode Island (8-9, 3-2 A10) fell to Saint Louis (6-11, 3-1 A10) in four sets.
In a tightly contested first set, the Rams and Billikins traded points to a 13-13 tie. Back to back kills from Rachel Lynne Cox and Marie Gillcrist gave Rhode Island a 15-13 lead, and the Rams extended their lead to 18-14 with two straight Kylee Wolfe kills. After pushing the lead to 21-17, Saint Louis grabbed three quick points to cut Rhody's lead to 21-20. After Saint Louis scored another three consecutive points to grab a 23-22 lead, the Rams scored the final three points of the set with kills from Live Lunde Fossdal and Cox to take the set.
After falling behind 6-4, Saint Louis took the next four points to grab an 8-6 lead and never looked back. Rhode Island knotted the score at 11-11, but Saint Louis took six of the next seven points to build a 17-12 lead. The Rams battled back with a run of their own with a kill from Gillcrist and service ace from Lunde Fossdal to cut the lead to 17-15. The Billikins took the next five points to expand their lead to 22-15, and held on to win the set 25-19.
In the third set, the Rams jumped to a 3-1 lead aided by kills from Lunde Fossdal and Gillcrist. However, Saint Louis stormed back, taking 14 of the next 17 points to grab a commanding 15-7 lead. Rhody managed to take the next five points of the set, cutting the Billiken lead to 15-12, with a pair of service aces from Olivia Budinich, but Saint Louis held on and won the set 25-18.
Rhode Island fell behind 4-1 in the fourth set, but battled back to take a 9-8 lead. Freshman Claire Chaplinsky, Gillcrist, and Cox grabbed kills in the run. The teams traded points, leaving the set tied at 11-11, 12-12, and 14-14, before Saint Louis took the next three points to lead 17-14. After Rhody tied the set at 17-17, the Billikens took the next four points to put the set and match out of reach. Saint Louis took the set 25-20.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Lauren Pick grabbed 32 assists on the night. It was her 10th time this season where she has grabbed at least 30 or more. Pick also added 11 digs on the night, grabbing her eighth double-double of the season.
- Senior Marie Gillcrist picked up 4 service aces on the night, matching her career high set earlier this season against Clemson. Gillcrist added 5 blocks and 11 kills on the night, leading the Rams in both categories.
- Sophomore Jenna McGuire finished the match with 5 blocks, nearly matching her career high of 6, set earlier this season against New Hampshire.
- Five Rams finished the night with at least five kills: Gillcrist with 11, Cox with 8, Lunde Fossdal with 6, Wolfe with 6, and McGuire with 6.
Stat of the Match
- 11 - Senior Jessie Blaze finished the night with 11 digs, the 11th consecutive game where she has recorded double digit digs.
Rhode Island hosts Atlantic 10 rival Dayton tomorrow night at 7 p.m. in Keaney Gymnasium.