How It Happened
Rhode Island (8-10, 3-3 A-10) fell to three-time defending Atlantic 10 Champion Dayton (13-6, 5-0 A-10) in straight sets Saturday night at Keaney Gymnasium.
A service ace from junior Lauren Pick evened the first set at 4-4, but the Flyers took 11 of the next 12 points from Rhode Island to jump to a 15-5 lead. Dayton maintained the lead through the rest of the set, and grabbed to a 25-13 victory. Senior Marie Gillcrist picked up two kills, one assist, one block, a service ace in the set. Freshman Live Lunde Fossdal picked up three kills along with a pair of digs. Junior Jessie Blaze led the Rams with five digs in the set.
In the second set, Rhode Island jumped to a 6-4 lead with kills from seniors Sam Roberts and Kylee Wolfe. The Flyers then scored seven of the next eight points to build a 12-7 lead. Trailing 17-11, back-to-back kills by sophomore Jenna McGuire cut the Flyers' lead to four. Dayton pushed its lead to eight (21-13), and held on to win 25-16. Jessie Blaze grabbed another five digs in the set, bringing her total to 10 and giving her double-digit digs for the 12th consecutive match.
A pair of kills from Sam Roberts and another from Jenna McGuire evened the third set at 5-5, and the teams traded points until back-to-back Dayton attack errors gave Rhode Island a 15-13 edge. Dayton took the next four points, and four of the following six to lead 21-17 - the largest advantage for either team in the set. The Flyers held on to win 25-21, taking the match in straight sets for the seventh time this season.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Lauren Pick finished with 15 assists. She also had eight digs and one service ace.
- Freshman Live Lunde Fossdal led the Rams with seven kills, while adding five digs and three blocks.
- Senior Sam Roberts set a new season high with seven kills. She also added a pair of blocks for the Rams.
- Freshman Claire Chaplinsky ended the night with four kills and one dig.
- Senior Marie Gillcrist added with four kills, three blocks, two assists, and one dig.
- Sophomore Jenna McGuire finished with three kills and four blocks.
Stat of the Match
13 - Senior Jessie Blaze finished the game with 13 digs, making it the 12th consecutive game she has recorded double digit digs.
Rhode Island travels to Duquesne next Friday, Oct. 7. The match with the Dukes is scheduled for 7 p.m.