How it Happened
With Rhode Island leading 2-1 after three sets, Duquesne surged back and scored nine consecutive points midway through the fourth set to take a commanding 16-6 lead. The Rams trimmed it to six at 16-10, but managed just two points the rest of the way as the Dukes evened the match at two apiece with the 25-12 set win.
URI halted Duquesne's momentum however, scoring nine of the first 10 points in the fifth set, and eventually winning 15-6 to claim the match three sets to two.
Inside the Box Score
- The win improves Rhody to 4-3 in the Atlantic 10 and 9-10 overall. Duquesne, meanwhile, drops to 8-13 overall and 3-4 in the conference.
- Senior Marie Gillcrist led the Rams with 12 kills and a match high six blocks, including one solo. She also added three digs and a pair of service aces.
- Senior Jessie Blaze recorded 24 digs to lead URI's defense.
- Freshman Live Lunde Fossdal finished with 17 digs, six kills and two service aces.
- Junior Lauren Pick registered 42 assists, 13 digs, two kills, two aces and one block.
- Senior Kylee Wolfe nearly double-doubled, finishing with 12 digs and eight kills.
- Seniors Rachel Lynne Cox and Sam Roberts added six kills apiece, while freshman Claire Chaplinsky had five.
- Junior Olivia Budinich was the fifth Ram to register double-digit digs as she finished the night with 10.
Stat of the Match
- 2008 - The 3-2 victory was Rhode Island's first win on Duquesne's home court since 2008. That year, the Rams left Pittsburgh with a 3-1 victory.
Rhody returns to action on Sunday afternoon at La Salle. Match time is set for 1 p.m.