Keaney Gymnasium - Home of Rhode Island Volleyball

Keaney Gymnasium

Keaney Gymnasium, home of the Rhode Island volleyball team, opened in 1953. Keaney Gym was the former home of the Rhode Island men's and women's basketball teams until 2002, when both teams moved to the Ryan Center.

The 3,385-seat gym (3,885 capacity including standing room) was the home of the men's basketball teams from 1953-2002, during which time the Rams compiled a 320-168 (.656 winning percentage). Keaney Gymnasium was renovated in the early 1990s when chair back seats were installed at courtside and bleacher seating was added in the old stage area.

Keaney Gymnasium is named in honor of Rhode Island's winningest basketball coach, the legendary Frank Keaney. Keaney coached the Rams from 1920-48 and amassed a record of 401-124 (.764 winning percentage) in 28 seasons at the helm. Keaney - credited with inventing the fast break - retired from active coaching in 1948 and was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1960. He also served as football coach from 1920-40 and is the school's second winningest gridiron coach with 70 victories.