Rhode Island Lineup
Hess (2B), Figueroa (3B), Powell (CF), Olmo (RF), Livingston (C), Gardella (DH), Corin (1B), Hill (SS), Foley (LF), Wessel (P)
Runco (2B), Bardwell (C), McNally (LF), Stampfl (1B), Donadio (RF), Lunch (CF), Mahoney (DH), Edmiston (3B), DeVito (SS), Serrapica (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (13-17, 5-4) got on the board right away, taking a 1-0 lead in the top of the first as Martin Figueroa doubled, advanced to third on a passed ball and scored on an RBI groundout by Jordan Powell. Fordham pulled ahead in the bottom of the inning however, scoring twice and never trailing again in the game.
The Bronx Rams (19-18, 6-3) pushed it to 4-1 in the bottom of the second, plating a pair of unearned runs. Rhody scored again in the top of the sixth - when Laurence Hill tripled and then scored on a base hit by Mike Foley - but that was as close as it would get. URI went down in order in the seventh, loaded the bases without scoring in the eighth, and was retired 1-2-3 in the ninth.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island held an 8-4 advantage in hits, but committed the lone error of the afternoon.
- Freshman Laurence Hill was the lone Rams with multiple hits, going 2-for-3 with his first career triple. He also scored Rhody's second run of the game.
- Junior Martin Figueroa scored Rhody's other run and extended his hit streak to 11 games with a first-inning ground-rule double. The 11-game hit streak ties senior Ryan Olmo for the team's longest streak this season.
- Sophomore Jordan Powell singled, walked and drove in a run. He has now reached base in each of Rhode Island's last 18 games.
- Sophomore Mike Foley drove in his eighth run of the season on a sixth-inning single that scored Hill.
- Redshirt senior Ben Wessel allowed just four hits over a 7.0-inning start, but gave up four runs (two earned) and was charged with the loss.
- Redshirt sophomore Tyler Barss tossed a scoreless eighth for the Rams.
- Fordham's Joseph Serrapica earned the win while Jimmy Murphy picked up the two-inning save.
The Rams return to action Wednesday afternoon at Hartford. First pitch between the Rams and Hawks is set for 3:30 p.m.