Rhode Island Lineup
Hess (2B), Figueroa (3B), Powell (CF), Olmo (RF), Gardella (C), McManus (1B), Corin (DH), Hill (SS), Lee (LF), Whitman (P)
Wilson (2B), MacKinnon (1B), DelDebbio (CF), Osterberg (DH), Bengston (SS), Sullivan (3B), Bardzell (RF), Walker (C), Ruch (LF), Cashman (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (13-18) combined to score seven runs over the final two innings, but left the tying run on third base in a 14-13 loss at Hartford.
Trailing 14-6 after the Hawks' second grand slam of the afternoon, Rhody clawed its way back in the eighth and ninth. Chris Hess doubled to drive in Laurence Hill, who had led off the inning with a single to right. Martin Figueroa followed with an RBI knock that plated Jesse Lee - who had been walked after Hill's base hit - to make it a 14-8 game.
After a Hartford (22-12) pitching change, Jordan Powell was hit by a pitch and Ryan Olmo sent a sacrifice fly to left field to score Hess, which cut the deficit to five (14-9). Brett McManus then drove a ball back up the middle, pushing across Figueroa and making the score 14-10.
A scoreless bottom of the eighth sent the Rams back to the plate in the top of the ninth, where they tacked on three more runs. Hill got things started once again, this time doubling down the left field line and coming around to score on Hess' second double of the game. Figueroa kept it going with an infield single before Powell's fifth hit of the game scored Hess and got Rhody within two (14-12). A Hartford error then allowed Olmo to reach first, Powell to advance to third and Figueroa to score URI's 13th run of the game.
The Rams fell just short of completing the comeback however, as back-to-back outs would end Rhody's late rally with Powell - the tying run - standing on third base.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island recorded a season-high 18 hits in the loss and was error free. Hartford finished with 12 hits and a pair of miscues.
- Sophomore Jordan Powell reached base in all six plate appearances, going 5-for-5 and being hit by a pitch. He also scored twice, drove in two runs and stole a base. The Rhody center fielder has now reached base in 19 consecutive games.
- Redshirt sophomore Chris Hess finished a triple shy of the cycle, going 4-for-6 with a single, two doubles and a home run. The homer was his fourth of the season and seventh of his career. He also scored four runs and had three RBI.
- Junior Martin Figueroa extended his hit streak to 12 straight games with a 2-for-5 day at the plate. He also reached once on a walk, drove in a run and scored three of his own.
- Freshman Brett McManus and redshirt senior Derek Gardella hit in the 5-6 slots and each drove in a pair of runs. McManus also drew a walk and scored a run.
- Redshirt junior Mike Corin and redshirt freshman Laurence Hill both went 2-for-5 on the day. Corin added a RBI and Hill scored twice.
- Redshirt junior Blaise Whitman took the loss, allowing six runs (all earned) on five hits and three walks over a 3.0-inning start. He also fanned three.
- Hartford's Chris Sullivan and Ashton Bardzell both hit grand slams for the Hawks.
The Rams return to action Thursday afternoon when they host Quinnipiac at 3:30 p.m.