Rhode Island Lineup
Brodeur (2B), Cavaliere (LF), Powell (CF), Coutts (DH), Heiss (SS), Santos (1B), Ulliana (C), White (RF), Hill (3B), Wilson (P)
Koos (CF), Arenas (SS), Sparks (1B), Hale (C), MacNeil (RF), Bogart (LF), Torino (DH), Meola (3B), Martin (2B), Gilbert (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island's offense was silenced in a 10-1 loss to Stetson on Friday night. The Rams (3-12) sent just three hitters to the plate in five of the first six innings as Stetson's Logan Gilbert took a no-hitter into the seventh inning. There, Kevin Heiss picked up Rhody's first hit of the game - a two-out double - but was stranded on second. By then, the Hatters (15-2) had a 2-0 lead, but tacked on three additional runs in the bottom of the inning.
URI scored its lone run of the game in the top of the eighth when Austin White crossed the plate on a sac-fly by pinch hitter Sam Ilario, but Stetson responded with a five spot in the bottom of the frame to put things out of reach.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island managed just two hits in the loss - a seventh-inning double by junior Kevin Heiss and a eighth-inning single by sophomore Sonny Ulliana.
- Redshirt freshman Josh Brodeur reached base twice on a pair of walks.
- Freshman Austin White also reached on a walk - an eighth-inning free pass which eventually led to URI's only run of the game.
- Redshirt junior Sam Ilario collected his sixth RBI of the season with a pinch-hit sacrifice fly that scored White. Ilario is now tied with senior Jordan Powell for the team lead with six runs batted in.
- Defensively, the Rams combined for three errors while Stetson was perfect in the field.
- Redshirt junior Tyler Wilson was charged with the loss, giving up five runs (four earned) on six hits and four walks over 6.0 innings of work.
- Redshirt sophomore Tyler Brosius pitched the final two innings for the Rams. He allowed five runs on four hits with four strikeouts.
The Rams and Hatters return to Melching Field for a Saturday doubleheader beginning at 2 p.m.