Rhode Island Lineup
Brodeur (2B), Hill (3B), Powell (CF), Coutts (1B), Ulliana (C), Mircovich (LF), Foley (RF), Wilson (DH), Daller (SS), Jangols (P)
Lamb (CF), Berezo (2B), Witt (3B), Lacey (DH), Willett (RF), Ching (SS), Hibbits (1B), Simon (C), Brown (LF), Dailey (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (5-17, 0-3 A-10) scored in the top of the second inning, taking its first lead of the series when Jackson Coutts scored on a bases-loaded fielder's choice ball by Mike Foley. The advantage was short-lived however, as VCU evened things up in the bottom of the frame.
VCU (15-8, 3-0 A-10) countered again though, this time scoring two - on a sacrifice fly and a balk - to take the lead for good in the bottom of the fourth. The Rams added their fourth and final run in the seventh inning, on a two-out RBI single by Steven Carpenter.
URI advanced runners to second and third in the eighth, and loaded the bases in the ninth, but was unable to push across any additional runs across.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior Laurence Hill reached base three times on a single and a pair of walks. He also scored a run for the Rams.
- Sophomore Sonny Ulliana had a single and two walks as well, in addition to an RBI.
- Freshman Jackson Coutts went 2-for-5 with a run scored.
- Redshirt freshman Max Mircovich was 0-for-2 but reached twice, via walk and hit by pitch.
- Senior Mike Foley got on base three times - twice on fielder's choice balls and one via walk - and stole three bases. He also drove in Rhody's second run of the game.
- Sophomore Vitaly Jangols was charged with the loss. He gave up three runs (two earned) on seven hits and two walks over a 5.0-inning start.
- Senior Dom Grillo tossed the final three innings for URI, allowing just two hits and one run while fanning four.
After playing 21 of its first 22 games on the road, Rhode Island returns to Kingston for a seven-game homestead which begins Tuesday afternoon against Quinnipiac.