Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (DH), McManus (1B), Cavaliere (LF), Daller (C), Foley (RF), Hill (3B), Brodeur (2B), Twitchell (P)
Campina (LF), Walker (2B), Bardwell (RF), Sullivan (DH), Ward (1B), Olson (SS), Ardito (3B), Carmody (C), Thrasher (CF), Norcross Plourde (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (12-25) won its fourth game in a row Wednesday afternoon, easing past Hartford 10-2 at Bill Beck Field.
Hartford (14-20) took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first, but the Rams moved ahead for good in the bottom of the frame when Greg Cavaliere sent a two-run single into right field to score Jordan Powell and Kevin Heiss.
Rhody blew things open the following inning, scoring six more runs to lead 8-2 after two innings of play. Laurence Hill led things off with a single to centerfield, before Josh Brodeur and Powell were issued back-to-back walks to load the bases. Another free pass - this time to Kevin Heiss - made it 3-1 Rhody. Jackson Coutts then beat out an infield single to drive in Brodeur and Brett McManus kept things going with a fielder's choice ball that plated Powell for the 5-1 advantage. Cavaliere followed with his first career homer - a three-run shot to right field - to clear the bases and make it an 8-1 game.
Hartford scored its only other run in the top of the fifth when Jackson Olson was walked and advanced all the way home on three wild pitches.
Rhode Island tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the inning however, extending the advantage on sac-fly by Powell and an RBI single by Heiss. URI's pitching staff allowed just three singles the rest of the way as the Rams cruised to the 10-2 victory - Raphael Cerrato's 100th as Rhode Island's head coach.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere finished the day 3-for-4 with five RBI and a run scored. He hit a two-run single in the bottom of the first and followed with his first-career home run - a three-run shot - in his next trip to the plate. He also recorded his first outfield assist of the season on a 7-2 play that ended the top of the fifth.
- Junior Kevin Heiss was walked twice, singled, stole a base, scored two runs and had two RBI.
- Redshirt junior Laurence Hill went 3-for-5 with two runs scored a pair of stolen bases.
- Senior Jordan Powell went 1-for-2 with a walk, an RBI, two runs scored and two stolen bases.
- Senior Mike Foley reached base three times, on a single and a pair of walks. He also scored a run for the Rams.
- Freshman Jackson Coutts' second-inning RBI single extended his team-leading reached base streak to 22 games.
- Junior Brett McManus walked, drove in a run and scored once while freshman Josh Brodeur was 1-for-2 with a run scored.
- Freshman starter Ryan Twitchell earned the win - the first of his career - allowing just one run on the afternoon.
- Redshirt sophomore Tyler Brosius threw two shutout innings, before freshman Brendan Mignone tossed a scoreless eighth.
- Redshirt junior Cam LaFleur closed out the victory with a 1-2-3 ninth.
The Rams are back at The Beck this weekend for a three-game Atlantic 10 series against Saint Joseph's. First pitch for Friday's opener is set for 3 p.m.