Game #1 - Rhode Island 13, Wichita State 8
Trailing 4-0 after three innings, Rhode Island claimed the lead for good in the top of the fourth. The Rams first run came when Xavier Vargas scored on a bases-loaded error by Wichita State. Brett McManus then grounded into a double play that pushed across Kevin Heiss and made it a 4-2 game. With Greg Cavaliere - who had singled earlier in the inning - on third, back-to-back walks to Austin White and Max Mircovich reloaded the bases for Jackson Coutts. Coutts worked another walk - the Rams' fourth of the inning - to plate Cavaliere and John Cristino followed with a two-run single that gave the Rams a 5-4 advantage.
Rhody added to the lead in the top of the sixth, tacking on eight more runs on eight hits and a walk. Vargas had a two-run triple, Mircovich had a run-scoring double, McManus drove in two with a single, Coutts and Heiss each had a run-scoring single and White reached on an RBI fielder's choice ball.
Wichita State put single runs n the board in the sixth and seventh before a two-run eighth cut Rhody's lead to 13-8. That was as close as the Shockers would get though, as Jon Morrison fanned two as part of a scoreless ninth to seal the win.
Game #2 - Rhode Island 6, Wichita State 1
Nick Robinson put together his best start of the season, allowing just three hits and one run over seven innings of work. Rams offense, meanwhile, gave him an early lead to work with, as Sonny Ulliana sent a two-run homer over the right field wall in the top of the first inning.
A solo home run by Luke Ritter gave Wichita State its only run of the game in the home half of the fourth, but Rhode Island got the run back in the seventh when Brodeur was walked with the bases loaded.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Jackson Coutts combined to go 4-for-9 with two doubles, two walks, two runs scored and two RBI. He also stole his first base of the season.
- Sophomore Austin White singled three times, walked twice, scored four runs, drove in one and stole a base.
- Playing in just Game #1, senior Kevin Heiss had a .833 on-base percentage going 1-for-2 with four walks. He also scored twice, had one RBI and one stolen base.
- Freshman John Cristino singled, doubled, scored once and drove in a pair of runs in Game #2.
- Junior Greg Cavaliere and sophomore Xavier Vargas both went 3-for-10 with one walk and three runs scored on the day. Vargas also drove in three runs while Cavaliere stole his team-leading fourth base of the season.
- Junior Sonny Ulliana belted his first homer of the season, a two-run shot in Game #2.
- Redshirt sophomore Josh Brodeur was 2-for-2 in stolen base attempts on the day. He also walked three times, singled, was hit by a pitch, scored once and drove in a pair of runs.
- Junior Nick Robinson's performance in Game #2 earned him his first win of the year.
- Redshirt senior Dom Grillo earned the win in Game #1. Making his first start of the season, he went five innings with six strikeouts and just one walk.
- As a staff, the Rhody pitchers - Robinson, Grillo, junior Jake Walker, redshirt junior Tyler Brosius, senior Mark Silvestri and freshman Jon Morrison - combined for 18 strikeouts on the day.
The Rams and Shockers return to Eck Stadium to close out the series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is set for 1 p.m Eastern.