Game #1 - Rhode Island 19, George Washington 1
Rhode Island dominated George Washington in the Atlantic 10 opener for both teams, cruising to a 19-1 victory in a game that originally began on Friday afternoon.
The Rams and Colonials got two and a third innings in on Friday, before a hail storm swept through the D.C. area and eventually rendered the Tucker Field unplayable. When play was halted, Rhody led 3-0 thanks to a two-run homer by Jackson Coutts and an RBI single by Greg Cavaliere.
The overnight pause in play did not derail the Rams' offense as URI outscored GW 16-1 through the final six and a third innings on Saturday. Overall, Rhody strung together a season-high 20 hits, six of which were for extra bases. Coutts' homer was his first of the season while Mark Coley belted the first of his career in an eighth-inning pinch-hit at-bat.
Each of the seventeen Rams that recorded plate appearances reached base at least once. Xavier Vargas led the way with a 4-for-5 showing at the plate. He and Kevin Heiss each scored three runs for URI. John Cristino (3), Mark Coley (2), Laurence Hill (2), Coutts (2), Josh Brodeur (2) and Greg Cavaliere (2) all drove in multiple runs.
Game #2 - George Washington 4, Rhode Island 3
After their offensive outburst in Game #1, the Rhody bats were kept in check in Game #2 as the Rams combined for just seven hits through nine innings.
With GW leading 1-0, an RBI single by Laurence Hill evened the score in the top of the third. Rhode Island pulled ahead 2-1 the following inning on a solo shot by Max Mircovich but the Colonials responded with two runs in the bottom of the frame and another in the fifth for a 4-2 advantage.
Hill drove in Josh Brodeur in the seventh to make it a one-run game and the Rams threatened with runners on second and third in the eighth, but were unable to push any additional runs across.
Inside the Box Scores
- Sophomore Xavier Vargas combined to go 5-for-8 (.625) over the two games. He also scored three runs for the Rams.
- Redshirt sophomore Josh Brodeur had three base hits, three runs scored and two RBI.
- Redshirt sophomore Max Mircovich and freshman Mark Coley each hit the first home run of their respective careers.
- Mircovich also doubled once, walked twice, was hit by a pitch, scored three runs and drove in two.
- Sophomore Jackson Coutts singled, homered, scored twice and drove in two runs.
- Senior Kevin Heiss singled once, walked twice, was hit by a pitch and scored three runs. He also recorded his fourth stolen base of the season.
- Freshmen Billy Butler and John Cristino each doubled and scored a run for the Rams.
- Cristino also had three RBI in Game #1.
- Sophomore Austin White combined for two singles and a double. He also picked up his third outfield assist of the season.
- Redshit senior Dom Grillo earned the win in Game #1, allowing just three hits over five scoreless innings.
- Sophomore Ryan Twitchell threw two no-hit innings before Game #1 was halted.
- Junior Nick Robinson was charged with the loss in Game #2, allowing four runs on seven hits over a 6.0-inning start.
- Redshirt junior Tyler Brosius relieved Robinson in the seventh and gave up just hit through two scoreless frames.
The Rams and Colonials return to Tucker Field to close out the series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is set for 12 p.m.