Rhode Island Lineup
White (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (DH), Mircovich (RF), Vargas (1B), Cavaliere (LF), Hill (3B), Ulliana (C), McManus (2B), Twitchell (P)
Guercio (CF), Melendez (RF), MacKenzie (SS), Bardwell (C), Labella (1B), Tarabek (3B), Vazquez (2B), Baker (LF), Coules (DH), Mikulski (P)
How It Happened
Fordham's Matt Mikulski hurled seven innings and Fordham scored a pair of unearned runs to take the series opener from Rhode Island, 2-0, Friday afternoon.
Rhode Island (8-13, 2-2 Atlantic 10) loaded the bases in both the eighth and ninth innings, but was unable to break through against a pair of Fordham relievers.
Fordham (16-10, 3-1 A-10) scored first, getting an unearned run in the top of the fifth. Nick Labella singled up the middle to start the inning. A botched pickoff attempt allowed him to move around to third base. One out later, C.J. Vazquez brought Labella in with a sacrifice fly to right field.
In the bottom of the eighth, Rhode Island had runners on the corners with one out. Austin White led off with a single and moved to third when Jackson Coutts singled up the middle. Max Mircovich got down a safety squeeze, but White was called out at home as pitcher Kyle Martin backhanded a flip to Justin Bardwell for the tag. The Rams managed to load the bases, but a strikeout ended the threat.
In the ninth inning, Laurence Hill and Josh Brodeur walked, while Austin White singled to load the bases with one out. However, Anthony Zimmerman induced a pop up for the second out, and second baseman C.J. Vazquez ranged well into center field to track down a flair and end the game.
Rhody had another strong scoring chance in the bottom of the third. With Sonny Ulliana and Kevin Heiss on base with two outs, Jackson Coutts lined a shot down the left field line. Fordham left fielder Jake Baker made a diving catch to rob Coutts of the hit and prevent any runs from scoring.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Austin White reached safely four times. He singled twice and walked twice.
- Senior Brett McManus singled and walked.
- Senior Kevin Heiss, junior Sonny Ulliana and sophomore Jackson Coutts each had one single.
- Sophomore Ryan Twitchell (0-2) gave Rhode Island a strong start, working his way into the eighth inning. He pitched 7.1 innings, allowing one unearned run on four hits. He struck out four and walked just one.
- Rhode Island was 0-for-3 with the bases loaded and just 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
With inclement weather expected Sunday, Rhode Island and Fordham will play a doubleheader Saturday. The first game will start at 11:30 a.m.