Rhode Island Lineup
White (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (DH), Mircovich (RF), Vargas (1B), Brodeur (2B), Ulliana (C), Cavaliere (LF), Hill (3B), Twitchell (P)
Schulpfand (RF), Bruhl (2B), Planter (3B), Fote (CF), Schmidt (C), Lee (LF), Cook (1B), Little (SS), Schlub (DH), Miller (P)
How it Happened
Josh Brodeur played hero again, sending a ninth-inning sacrifice fly into centerfield to score Kevin Heiss and give Rhode Island a 2-1 walk-off win over Richmond, in the Atlantic 10 series opener Friday at Bill Beck Field. Brodeur ended Rhody's last A-10 game in similar fashion, sending a run-scoring single to center in the bottom of the 12th as the Rams defeated Fordham 9-8 last Sunday.
Against the Spiders, Rhody jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third inning when Austin White tripled and then scored on a single by Heiss. Richmond got the run back in the top of the fifth however, with DJ Lee scoring on a sacrifice fly by Brian Schaub.
After seven strong innings from starter Ryan Twitchell, Richmond put runners on the corners off reliever Jake Walker in the top of the eighth. Tyler Brosius then entered the game and recorded five straight outs to get the Rams to the bottom of the ninth with the score still knotted at one apiece.
There, Heiss drew a leadoff walk, Jackson Coutts singled and Max Mircovich was walked to load the bases. Then, with one away, Brodeur lifted a 1-2 offering into centerfield, allowing Heiss to get home safely for the game-winning run.
The win improved Rhody to 5-2 in conference play and 12-14 overall. Richmond, meanwhile, suffered its first A-10 loss, falling to 3-1 in league play and 16-10-1 overall.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Kevin Heiss played a role in both Rhody runs, recording an RBI single in the third and scoring the game-winning run in the ninth.
- Heiss has now reached base in each of his last 16 games played.
- Redshirt sophomore Josh Brodeur drove Heiss in as the the game-winning in the bottom of the ninth, marking his second walk-off RBI in as many A-10 games.
- Sophomore Austin White tripled in the bottom of the third to extend his reached-base streak to a team-best 20 consecutive games. He also scored Rhody's first run of the game, in the bottom of the third.
- Redshirt sophomore Max Mircovich reached base twice, on a single and a walk.
- Junior Sonny Ulliana and sophomore Jackson Coutts also recorded hits for the Rams.
- Sophomore Ryan Twitchell went seven strong innings in the no-decision start, allowing just one run on four hits with five strikeouts.
- Redshirt junior Tyler Brosius improved to 3-0 on the season, getting the Rams out of an eighth-inning jam before tossing a 1-2-3 top of the ninth.
The Rams and Spiders return to The Beck for Game 2 of the series, Saturday at 1 p.m.