Rhode Island Lineup
White (CF), Heiss (SS), Vargas (1B), Cristino (C), Coutts (DH), Mircovich (RF), Brodeur (2B), Cavaliere (LF), McManus (3B), Twitchell (P)
George Mason Lineup
Reckling (LF), Driscoll (C), Acker (CF), Quinn (1B), Klein (RF), Popatak (3B), Tassone (DH), Brooks (2B), Aponte (SS), Marconi (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island was limited to three hits in a 3-1 loss to George Mason Friday afternoon.
Despite drawing five walks off of starter Brian Marconi, the Rams (17-20, 8-5 Atlantic 10) could not take advantage. Marconi scattered three hits and five walks over 6.0 innings, holding Rhody to just one run.
George Mason (16-25, 3-10 A-10) provided Marconi with just enough support. The Patriots - who entered the day tied for last place in the conference standings - took the lead in the first inning when Brady Acker hit a two-out solo home run.
Rhody tied the score in the bottom of the third when Xavier Vargas doubled to drive in Kevin Heiss. However, George Mason reclaimed the lead in the top of the fifth with a pair of runs. Alejandro Aponte led off with a single and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. A walk to Logan Driscoll put two on, and both runners advanced on a wild pitch. Acker then singled to drive in Aponte, and an error on the play allowed Driscoll to come around to make it a two-run game.
The Rams got the potential tying run to the plate in each of the next four innings, but was unable to push any additional runs across.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Jake Walker gave Rhode Island a strong relief outing, tossing 3.2 scoreless innings with four strikeouts. Walker retired the first nine batters he faced and did not allow any hits.
- Senior Kevin Heiss walked in each of his four plate appearances. He also scored Rhode Island's lone run.
- Sophomore Xavier Vargas had Rhody's lone extra-base hit, an RBI double in the third inning.
- Sophomore Jackson Coutts and redshirt sophomore Josh Brodeur each had one single in the loss.
- The Rams were just 2-for-15 with runners on base.
- Rhode Island loaded the bases with two outs in the bottom of the first inning, and had runners in scoring position in the second and third, but managed just one run. After the third inning, URI did not get a runner past first base.
- Sophomore Ryan Twitchell was charged with the loss, allowing three runs on six hits and a pair of walks over five complete innings.
Rhode Island and George Mason are back in action Saturday afternoon. First pitch at Beck Field is scheduled for 1 p.m.