Rhode Island Lineup
White (CF), Brodeur (2B) Vargas (1B), Coutts (RF), Cristino (DH), Heiss (SS), Ulliana (C), McManus (3B), Cavaliere (LF), Wilson (P)
Saint Louis Lineup
Bartlett (CF), Redding (C), Garella (RF), Stowe (1B), Dubet (2B), Benes (3B), Livorsi (DH), Jordan (SS), Youngbrandt (LF), Luther (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island stranded 11 base runners in a 6-4 loss to Saint Louis Saturday afternoon.
With the game tied 2-2 through six innings, Austin White scored on a wild pitch to put Rhody up 3-2 in the top of the seventh. The Rams were unable to push any additional runs across however, leaving the bases loaded after an inning-ending strikeout.
Saint Louis (21-24, 9-8 A-10) reclaimed the lead in the bottom of the frame, scoring four runs on four hits for the 6-3 advantage.
Sonny Ulliana belted his third home run of the season in the top of the eighth, a leadoff shot that got Rhody within two (6-4). Brett McManus then singled and Greg Cavaliere followed with a walk, but neither runner was able to advance any further.
The Rams (18-25, 9-8 A-10) were then retired in order in the ninth as SLU claimed the 6-4 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomores Xavier Vargas and Josh Brodeur both went 3-for-5 with a run scored. Vargas also drove in a run for the Rams, his team-leading 30th RBI of the season.
- Junior Sonny Ulliana also had three hits for Rhode Island, including his third home run of the year.
- Sophomore Austin White went 1-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
- Senior Kevin Heiss also singled and walked, as did junior Greg Cavaliere.
- Redshirt junior Tyler Brosius suffered his first loss of the season, allowing three runs on three hits in the bottom of the seventh inning.
- Redshirt senior Tyler Wilson struck out six and gave up two runs in a 3.2-inning start.
URI and SLU will return to The Billiken Sports Center to close out the series on Sunday at 1 p.m. (Eastern).