Harris, Russell, Langevine, Dowtin, Thompson
Gilyard, Cayo, Wojcik, Johnson, Golden
How It Happened
Rhode Island went wire-to-wire- to secure its first conference win of the season, winning at Richmond, 78-67, Wednsday night.
The Rams (8-6, 1-1 Atlantic 10) never trailed in the game, taking the lead when Christion Thompson hit a 3-pointer just 22 seconds into the contest. Rhode Island used its best shooting half of the season to build a 10-point lead by halftime. The Rams were 16-of-26 from the field (61.5 percent) to help establish a 44-34 advantage at the break. Jeff Dowtin had 14 points and Fatts Russell added 11 points and four assists to lead a balanced offense that saw all seven players who appeared score for Rhode Island.
In the second half, Rhody pushed its lead to as many as 19 on a free throw by Dowtin with 11:59 to go, Richmond (6-9, 0-2 A-10) managed to trim its deficit to 10 points twice, but the Rams never let the game get back to single digits.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Jeff Dowtin scored 24 points on 7-of-8 shooting from the floor. He also had five assists and three rebounds. It was the fifth 20-point game of Dowtin's career.
- Rhode Island is now 26-4 when Dowtin has at least five assists in a game.
- Sophomore Fatts Russell returned after missing one game with an injury. He had a huge impact, scoring 19 points to go with four assists.
- Freshman Tyrese Martin was the third Ram in double figures, scoring 10 points and grabbing seven rebounds. It was his second straight game scoring in double figures.
- Redshirt junior Christion Thompson had nine points, five rebounds and two steals. He got the Rams going early by hitting his first two 3-point shots.
- Junior Cyril Langevine had nine points, seven rebounds and three steals despite playing just 24 minutes due to foul trouble.
- Freshman Dana Tate had six points and six rebounds off the bench.
- The Rams shot 61.5 percent from the floor in the first half, their best shooting half of the year.
- Rhody was 7-of-13 from 3-point range in the first half, as Jeff Dowtin, Tyrese Martin and Christion Thompson each had two in the period.
- Rhode Island had 14 assists on 26 field goals. It was the team's fifth straight game with 10 or more assists.
- The Rams dominated the boards, finishing with a 35-24 edge on the glass.
Rhode Island heads to the Ryan Center for its Atlantic 10 home opener against George Mason on Sunday. Game time is 5:30 p.m. and the game will be broadcast nationally on NBCSN.