Mar 04, 2019
- Tuesday's game will be the 103rd meeting all time in the series, with Saint Joseph's holding a 57-45 edge.
- This will be the 50th time Rhode Island has been the road team against the Hawks. The Rams are 18-31 when playing on the road versus Saint Joseph's.
- The last meeting between the teams was during the 2018 Atlantic 10 Championship semifinals, which Rhode Island won, 90-87. Jeff Dowtin had 16 points and 10 assists in the win, while Fatts Russell added 14 points off the bench.
- Rhody has won two of its last three visits to Hagan Arena, including a 68-49 victory on March 1, 2017.
- Rhode Island comes into the game having won its last two games, including a 72-70 overtime win at Dayton on Friday, March 1. The Rams are looking to match their longest win streak of the season. They won three straight from Jan. 16-23, beating St. Bonaventure, La Salle and VCU in succession.
- Saint Joseph's also has won two straight, beating Fordham and La Salle in its last two contests.
- The Hawks are ranked third in the conference in free throw shooting, making .736 from the line as a team.
- Saint Joseph's also ranks third in 3-point shots made per game, averaging 8.6 per contest.
- Saint Joseph's Charlie Brown averages 19.2 points per game, making him the league's leading scorer.
LANGEVINE CRACKS TOP 10 SINGLE SEASON REBOUNDING LIST
- Rhode Island junior Cyril Langevine enters Tuesday with 283 rebounds this season, the 10th most in a season in program history. He passed Kahiem Seawright Friday at Dayton. Seawright had 277 during the 2007-08 season.
- With two more rebounds, Langevine will pass Kenny Green for ninth place. Green had 284 in 1989-90.
- Langevine leads the Atlantic 10 with 10.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 15th nationally.
- Langevine has had 12 or more rebounds nine times this season.
- He ranks seventh in the nation with 3.61 offensive rebounds per game.
- Langevine is the A-10's active career leader with 619 rebounds.
AGGRESSIVE RUSSELL MAKES BIG DIFFERENCE
- When sophomore Fatts Russell is scoring in bunches, it means good things for the Rams.
- Rhode Island is 10-1 this season when Russell scores at least 18 points.
- When Russell makes at least four free throws in a game, Rhode Island is 11-1 this season.
- The lone defeat was his season-high 26-point performance against Bucknell, a two-point loss.
- He made three free throws against Bucknell.
- Russell leads the team with six 20-point performances and is third on the Rams with his 13.1 points per game.
- Over his last three games, Russell is 8-for-20 (40.0 percent) from the 3-point arc.
- It is the first time this season that Russell has made multiple 3-point shots in three consecutive games.
STEALING THE SHOW
- Rhode Island has recorded 24 steals over its last two games, getting nine at Dayton Friday night and a season-high 15 steals in its win over George Washington.
- The 15 steals against George Washington were the most steals in a game by the Rams since they had 15 against Dayton last season on Feb. 23, 2018.
- Rhody's defense averages 7.4 steals per game, good for sixth in the Atlantic 10 and 65th nationally.
- Sophomore Fatts Russell ranks sixth in the conference and 99th in the country with 1.67 steals per game.
- Over his last three games, Russell has 11 steals, including four against both Dayton and George Washington.
- Russell has seven games this season with four or more steals. Rhode Island is 7-0 in those games.
- Russell leads the team with 45 steals, while Jeff Dowtin has 41 and Christion Thompson has 39 each.
- Dowtin ranks 10th in the league with 1.46 steals per game. Thompson ranks 13th with 1.39 per game.
- With 90 career steals, Dowtin is Rhody's active leader.
- Freshman Tyrese Martin has 17 steals over his last 12 games. He had eight total in his first 16 games.
- URI is third in the league in forced turnovers (14.39).