How it Happened
Rhode Island had no answers for No. 12/14 Villanova on either side of the ball, falling 35-0 to the Wildcats Saturday afternoon.
Villanova (5-1, 3-0 CAA Football) scored touchdowns on each of its first four possessions, three of which came in the opening quarter. Quarterback Zach Bednarczyk threw a pair of touchdown passes and the Wildcats added three more touchdowns on the ground.
On the other side of the ball, Rhode Island (1-5, 0-3 CAA Football) managed just 44 total yards in the first half. The Rams had just two first downs in the half, one of which came on a Villanova personal foul.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt freshman Oliver Graybar had another strong game, averaging 40.6 yards on 11 punts. His 11 punts and 447 punting yards were both the second most in a single game in program history.
- Graybar had three punts of 50 yards or more, including a 53 yarder. He placed five punts inside the opposing 20-yard line.
- Redshirt freshman defensive tackle Tyrone Barge had a career-high five tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss.
- Sophomore Nas Jones had a team-high nine tackles.
- Senior Sam Benjamin had a 41-yard kick return for the Rams in the first quarter, taking a reverse from Harold Cooper getting all the way to the Villanova 41.
- Junior Isaiah Hill had a punt block in the second quarter, giving Rhode Island its best starting position of the day at the Villanova 49-yard line. The Rams were unable to capitalize however, going three-and-out.
- Rhode Island was held to a season-low 39 rushing yards, including just eight yards in the first half.
- The Rams were 0-for-6 on third downs in the first half, and 4-of-15 overall.
- Rhode Island earned its first first down midway through the second quarter, on a 17-yard rush by T.J. Anderson. Rhody's lone first down of the opening quarter came on a personal foul against Villanova.
- Redshirt freshman Trystan Casey made his collegiate debut, appearing on special teams.
- Redshirt sophomore Monte Sinisi was the team's anchor bearer, and senior wide receiver Justin Caines served as the game captain.
- Attendance for the game was 4,105.
Stat of the Game
317 – Villanova rushed for 317 yards, as four different players gained more than 50 yards on the ground.
Rhode Island travels to play at Stony Brook next Saturday. Game time is 4 p.m.