Posted: Nov 16, 2017
- Saturday will mark the 17th meeting all time between Rhode Island and Towson, with the Tigers holding a 9-7 edge in the series.
- This is the fourth straight season Rhode Island and Towson have faced each other in the regular season finale.
- In last year's meeting, Rhode Island scored 21 unanswered points to rally from a 13-point deficit in the second half. However, Towson scored nine points in the final 1:55, winning the game when Morgan Mahalak hit a 55-yard field goal on the final play of the game to give the Tigers a 32-31 victory.
- Towson has won four of the last five meetings overall.
- Rhode Island is 4-4 in eight visits to Towson.
LAWSON EARNS CAA FOOTBALL OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Redshirt junior JaJuan Lawson is the reigning CAA Football Offensive Player of the Week.
- Lawson passed for a career-high 336 yards and one touchdown, adding a second touchdown on a 6-yard scamper to lead the Rams to a 20-6 victory over Villanova.
- Lawson completed 25-of-35 pass attempts, connecting with seven different receivers in the win.
- Two of Lawson's receivers – Marven Beauvais and Khayri Denny – topped 100 receiving yards.
- It was the first time in 70 games the Rams have had two different receivers reach 100 yards in the same contest. Beauvais finished with six catches for a career-high 152 yards, while Denny had eight grabs for 108 yards.
- Lawson has completed more than 60 percent (87-of-144) of his passes this season for 1,048 yards, seven touchdowns and three interceptions.
- He has rushed for 256 yards and a pair of touchdowns.
- Lawson is the first Rhode Island player to earn Offensive Player of the Week honors since Steve Probst took the honor for the week of Nov. 8, 2010.
RAMS SET SINGLE-SEASON SACK RECORD
- After recording five sacks against Villanova last week, Rhode Island now has 32 on the year, which is a new program record for one season.
- The previous program record was 29, set by the 2005 squad.
- Rhode Island enters the final week of the regular season ranked No. 10 in the country with an average of 3.2 sacks per game.
- Five different players have recorded at least five sacks this season: Brandon Ginnetti (7.0), Jose Duncan (5.5), Mike Ezirike (5.5), L.B. Mack III (5.5) and Tez Wilson (5.0).
- Rhody has recorded three or more sacks six times this season.
- Four different players have recorded at least two sacks in a game this season. Sophomore defensive tackle Brandon Ginnetti had three of Rhode Island's seven sacks at Albany on Oct. 28. It was the first three-sack game by a Rhode Island player since Isaiah Grier did so against Hofstra in 2001.
- Redshirt senior Mike Ezirike had two sacks in the game at Albany.
- Senior defensive end Jose Duncan had two at Central Michigan and two against Harvard.
- Junior defensive end Tez Wilson had two at New Hampshire on Sept. 23 and 2.5 sacks last week against James Madison.
- The seven sacks for Rhode Island at Albany on Oct. 28 were the most by the Rams since they had seven against Central Connecticut State on Sept. 10, 2005.
MACK THIRD IN TACKLES FOR LOSS
- Rhode Island sophomore defensive end L.B. Mack III ranks third among CAA Football players with 12.5 tackles for loss.
- Teammate Tez Wilson is sixth in the league with 12.0 tackles for loss.
- Mack's 4.5 tackles for loss at Brown were the most by a Ram since Doug Johnson had 5.0 against Massachusetts on Nov. 23, 2011.
RAMS GETTING POSSESSIVE OF THE BALL
- Over the last three games, Rhode Island has had 10 scoring drives.
- Of those 10, seven have been drives that lasted at least 4:00 and six have last more than 5:00.
- In the first seven games of the season, the Rams had 25 scoring drives.
- Of those, only four lasted at least 4:00 and only one lasted at least 5:00.