Aug 22, 2018
- The Rams open the 2018 season on Friday night, when they travel to Boston University for a 7 p.m. game against the Terriers.
- Rhody returns 15 players - including nine starters - from last year's team, which advanced to the semifinals of the A-10 tournament.
- Eleven new players have joined the squad - five internationals and six Americans.
- Rhody was picked to finish fourth in the 2018 A-10 preseason coaches poll.
- Seniors Dominik Richter and Chae Brangman, as well as junior Peder Kristiansen, collected preseason all-conference honors.
- Last year, 10 different players combined to score the Rams' 28 goals. Seven of those player are back in 2017, including three players - Brangman (8g/3a), junior Stavros Zarokostas (5g/4a) and Richter (4g/4a) who finished the 2017 with double-digit points.
- Three of four starters return to the Rams' back line as Kristiansen, Middrup and Dickson combined to hold opponents scoreless eight times last season, including a pair of shutouts against top-25 teams.
- For the first time in four years, Rhode Island will be without the services of 2018 graduate Nils Leifhelm, who finished his collegiate career with a 40-28-9 record and 23 shutouts - second most all-time at Rhode Island.
- The Rams are 25-15-1 all-time in season openers, including a 3-0 season-opening victory last year against Boston University.
The Rhody/Boston University Series
- Boston University leads: 23-16-8
- First Meeting: 1963; BU won 5-3.
- Last Meeting: August 25, 2017; URI defeated BU, 3-0, in Kingston, R.I.
- Current Streak: Rhode Island, one win.
- Boston University's last win: September 24, 2010 (3-0) in Boston.
- Of Note: Chae Brangman, Stavros Zarokostas and Peder Kristiansen each scored a goal in last season's 3-0 victory over BU.
Scouting the Terriers
- Boston University turned in a 7-8-4 record last season, finishing 6-2-1 (2nd place) in the Patriot League.
- The Terriers were picked to finish second in the Patriot League this season.
- BU returns midfielder Toti Knutsson, who led the team lead with 11 points (3g/5a) last season. He is joined in the midfield by Matt McDonnell, who scored a team-best four assists in a year ago.
- Mike Bernardi started the majority of the games between the posts last season, finishing the year with a 6-5-2 record, seven shutouts and a 1.17 goals against average.