RHODE ISLAND (5-0-0)
Starters: Penske (GK), Karterud, Kristiansen, Middrup, Benco, Zarokostas, Richter, Jesman Sunde, Dickson, Brangman, Daley
Substitutes: Cook, Gaudreau, Akselsen
Starters: Sinnott (GK), Curti, Parada, Bounthong, Lund Jorgensen, Harr, Gavilanes, Conway, Horberget, Jeter, Lorello
Substitutes: Ginman, Avila, Reis
26:20 - URI - Zarokostas (Akselsen)
67:41 - URI - Brangman (unassisted)
How It Happened
Rhode Island (5-0-0) posted its fifth consecutive clean sheet Saturday night, traveling to Marist and defeating the Red Foxes by a score of 2-0. It marks the first time in program history that the Rams open a season with five straight shutouts.
Junior Stavros Zarokostas netted the only goal Rhode Island would need at the 26:20 mark when he took a pass from Edvin Akselsen, evaded a Marist defender and deposited a shot into the back left corner for the 1-0 advantage. Senior Chae Brangman later tacked on an unassisted insurance goal midway through the second half for the eventual 2-0 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Stavros Zarokostas scored his third goal of the season and 16th of his career. He now has 41 career points (16g/9a) in 41 career games.
- Redshirt freshman Edvin Akselsen's assist on the Zarokostas goal was the first of his career. After missing all of last season, and the first three games of this year, he has now registered five points (two goals, one assist) in Rhody's last two games.
- Senior Chae Brangman found the back of the net for the first time this season. In doing so, he became the eighth different Ram to score a goal this year.
- Freshman Roger Penske recorded a season-high five saves while posting his fourth shutout in goal for the Rams.
- Rhody held a slight advantage in shots at 13-12.
- The Rams also had five corner kicks to Marist's three.
The Rams are back in action Tuesday night at Connecticut.