RHODE ISLAND at PROVIDENCE
Tuesday, Sept. 18 at 7 p.m.
Anderson Stadium - Providence, R.I.
RHODE ISLAND vs. BROWN
Saturday, Sept. 22 at 7 p.m.
URI Soccer Complex - Kingston, R.I.
- Rhode Island looks to keep its perfect record intact this week with a pair of games against in-state rivals Providence and Brown.
- Rhody will travel to the capital city to take on the Friars Tuesday night before returning to Kingston to host Brown on Saturday.
- At 5-0-0 on the season, Rhode Island entered this week as one of just three programs nationwide with a perfect record. Wake Forest (6-0-0) and Saint Mary's (5-0-0) are the others.
- As of Monday, Rhode Island was ranked 23rd (Top Drawer Soccer) and 30th (College Soccer News) in the national polls.
- With eight different players having combined for URI's 12 goals so far this season, the Rams currently rank 13th in the country in scoring offense with 2.40 goals per game.
- Junior Stavros Zarokostas leads the team in points (7) and goals scored (3). He also has one assist so far this season.
- Senior Dominik Richter has recorded a team-best four assists, as well as one game-winning goal.
- Grad student Tyler Dickson and redshirt freshman Edvin Akselsen each have scored twice for the Rams while freshman Sondre Karterud has a pair of assists.
- Defensively, Rhode Island is averaging 7.2 shots on goal per game while allowing the competition just 3.6.
- URI is one of just two programs nationwide that has yet to allow a goal this season. The other is Kentucky (4-0-1).
- Freshman Roger Penske (four games played) and junior Stefan Schmidt (one game played) have combined for five consecutive shutouts, marking the first time in program history Rhode Island has held its opponents scoreless in the first five games of a season.
The Rhody/Providence Series
- Rhode Island leads: 29-12-4
- First Meeting: 1968; Rhode Island won 4-1.
- Last Meeting: Sept 2, 2017; PC defeated URI, 2-1 (2OT) in Kingston, R.I.
- Current Streak: Providence, one win.
- Rhody's last win: August 26, 2016 (2-1) in Providence, R.I.
- Of Note: The Rams and Friars have gone to overtime eight times in the series history. Both teams are 3-3-2 in those games.
Scouting the Friars
- Providence enters the game with an overall record of 3-3-1.
- The Friars have defeated SMU (2-1), Albany (1-0) and George Washington (1-0) while falling to UIC (3-0), Harvard (2-1) and DePaul (2-1). PC also played to a 1-1 draw with Boston College.
- As a team, Providence has combined for seven goals while allowing nine.
- Tiago Mendonca leads the team with eight total points on four goals. He is the only player with multiple goals this season.
- Amndualem Chisolm is next with three points on one goal and one assist.
- Malcom Duncan has recorded a team-best two assists.
- Colin Miller has played all 681:25 in goal for Providence, compiling a 1.19 goals against average and two shutouts.
The Rhody-Brown Series
- Brown leads: 38-13-3
- Last meeting: The Rams and Bears played to a scoreless draw last season in Providence.
- Rhody's last win: November 7, 2004 (2-1) in Kingston, R.I.
- Brown's last win: Sept. 24, 2016 (2-1, OT) in Kingston, R.I.
- Of Note: Brown has held Rhode Island scoreless in five of the last six meetings between the teams, combining to outscore the Rams 10-1 during that span.
Scouting the Bears
- Brown enters the week with a 2-3-0 record.
- After opening the season with back-to-back wins over Bryant (2-1) and George Washington (2-1, OT), the Bears have dropped three straight to Albany (2-1), San Diego State (2-0) and UC Irvine (3-0).
- Brown has scored five goals so far this season while allowing nine.
- Daniel Schiller leads the team with seven points (3g/1a) while Rodrigo D'Andrea and Derek Waleffe each have scored once.
- James Swomley has played all but 45:00 in goal this season. he owns a 1.99 goals against average and a .500 save percentage.