RHODE ISLAND (6-1-0)
Starters: Penske (GK), Karterud, Kristiansen, Trcka, Benco, Zarokostas, Richter, Sunde, Dickson, Daley, Akselsen
Substitutes: Cronin, Drayer, Brangman, Gaudreau
Starters: Gross (GK), Mims, Goebel, D'Andrea, Howell, Welp, Crain, Waleffe, Anderson, Perez, Schiller
Substitutes: Lee, Chow, Hayward, Vrablic, Johnson
109:02 - BROWN - Chow (Anderson)
How it Happened
Rhode Island dropped a heartbreaking 1-0 double overtime loss to Brown Saturday night at the URI Soccer Complex. The loss ended the Rams six-game winning streak as Rhody entered the contest as the only team in the nation that had yet to allow a goal.
In the first half, the Rams drew 10 corners but could not convert. The teams went into the break tied 0-0.
Garrett Cronin had a header in the 85th minute but Brown goalkeeper Max Gross was able to make the stop to send the Rams to overtime for the first time this season. There, Edvin Akselsen nearly ended things 3:30 in, with a shot that went just wide of the frame.
Brown eventually put the game away with 58 seconds remaining in double overtime, when Matthew Chow beat Roger Penske with a shot from the end line. Zac Anderson was credited with an assist on the play.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Dominik Richter led the Rams with six shots, two of which were on goal.
- Redshirt freshman defender Garrett Cronin made his Rhode Island debut. He recorded one shot on goal in 42 minutes on the pitch.
- Freshman goalkeeper Roger Penske matched his career high with five saves.
- Brown's Matthew Chow's goal ended Rhody's shutout streak at 649:02.
- The Rams held a 17-5 advantage in corner kicks, including 10-1 advantage in the first half.
- Rhode Island also had the lead in shots, 15-12.
The Rams open conference play next Saturday, Sept. 29 at Fordham. Game time is set for 7 p.m.