Sep 28, 2018
- Rhode Island (6-1-0) travels to Fordham for its Atlantic 10 opener Saturday night.
- The Rams are 3-1-1 in A-10 openers under head coach Gareth Elliott.
- URI enters the game ranked first in the country in both save percentage (0.962) and goals against average (0.139).
- The Rams allowed their first and only goal of the season last Saturday, in a 1-0, double-overtime loss to Brown. The Bears' goal with 58 seconds remaining in the second overtime period ended Rhody's shutout streak at 649:02.
- Despite defeating Providence 3-0 on the road last Tuesday, the loss to Brown dropped Rhode Island out of the the national polls. Last week, the Rams were ranked 23rd by Top Drawer Soccer, 24th by Soccer America and 30th by College Soccer News. URI has received votes each of the last four United Soccer Coaches polls.
- Rhode Island opened the season with six consecutive shutouts, giving the 2018 Rams the best start to a season in program history.
- Rhody has been backstopped by freshman Roger Penske and junior Stefan Schmidt. Penske, who has started in five of URI's seven games, ranks second nationally with a 0.182 goals against average and a 0.955 save percentage. He has collected two A-10 Rookie of the Week awards and has one Defensive Player of the Week honor.
- Overall, Rhody's defense has allowed just 26 shots on goal through seven games (3.7 per game). At the opposite end of the field, URI is averaging 7.1 shots on goal per game.
- Rhode Island has also out-cornered its opponents 51-22 so far this season. The Rams rank seventh in the nation in corners per game (7.29).
- Rhody is averaging 2.14 goals per game, good for 17th nationally.
- Nine different Rams have found the back of the net this season while a total of 13 players have contributed either a goal or an assist.
- Senior Dominik Richter leads the team with eight points on two goals and four assists. Freshman Sondre Karterud is the only other player with multiple assists (2).
- Junior Stavros Zarokostas and redshirt freshman Edvin Akselsen each have recorded three goals and one assist.
- Grad student Tyler Dickson has added a pair of game-winning goals for Rhody.
The Fordham Series
- Rhode Island leads: 14-8-2
- Last meeting: Fordham defeated Rhode Island (2-0) on Oct. 21, 2017, in Kingston, R.I.
- Current Streak: Fordham, four wins.
- URI's last win: October 5, 2014 (1-0) in Bronx, N.Y.
- Of Note: Fordham has outscored Rhode Island 8-0 over the last four meetings between the teams.
- Fordham enters the weekend ranked as high as 17th in the nation, according to the most recent College Soccer News poll. The Rams also checked in at #25 in the United Soccer Coaches poll and received votes in the Top Drawer Soccer poll.
- The Rams are 4-1-2 on the season with their lone loss coming in the form of a 1-0 defeat at Manhattan.
- Fordham will be playing at home for just the second time this season on Saturday night. In their lone home game thus far, the Rams defeated visiting Columbia 1-0 (Sept. 21).
- Fordham has gone to overtime four times this season. In those games, the Rams are 2-0-2.
- Fordham has combined to outscore its opponents 9-6 while holding a 42-29 edge in corner kicks.
- Janos Loebe leads the team with nine points overall (2g/5a).
- Juergen Oland is next on the team with six points on three goals.
- Goalkeeper Rashid Nuhu has played all but 90 minutes between the posts for Fordham, making 18 saves and allowing five goals. He is 3-1-2 with a pair of shutouts to his credit.