RHODE ISLAND vs. DAYTON
Saturday, Oct. 13 at 7 p.m.
URI Soccer Complex (Kingston, R.I.)
Coverage: Live stats
- Rhode Island (9-2-0, 3-1-0 A-10) returns to the URI Soccer Complex to host Dayton Saturday night.
- URI enters the game with the nation's sixth-best scoring offense (2.36 goals per game).
- The Rams also rank eighth nationally in corner kicks per game (6.73) and seventh in shots on goal per game (7.36).
- Earlier this week, the Rams overcame an early 2-0 deficit to defeate UMass 3-2. Chae Brangman, Stavros Zarokostas and Dominik Richter all scored goals for Rhody in the win.
- URI opened the season with 649:02 scoreless minutes, collecting six straight shutout victories before dropping a 1-0 double-overtime decision to Brown on Sept. 22.
- The six consecutive shutouts gave the 2018 Rams the best start to a season in program history.
- Rhody has been backstopped by freshman Roger Penske and junior Stefan Schmidt. Penske, who has started in nine of URI's 11 games, ranks third in the Atlantic 10 in both save percentage (.780) and goals against average (.948). He has collected two A-10 Rookie of the Week awards and has one Defensive Player of the Week honor.
- Overall, Rhody's defense has allowed just 45 shots on goal through 11 games (4.1 per game). At the opposite end of the field, URI is averaging 7.4 shots on goal per game.
- Rhode Island has out-cornered its opponents 74-40 so far this season.
- Nine different Rams have found the back of the net this season while a total of 13 players have contributed either a goal or an assist.
- Senior Dominik Richter leads the team with 17 points on six goals and five assists.
- Junior Stavros Zarokostas (6g/1a) and redshirt freshman Edvin Akselsen (4g/4a) also have double-digit points with 13 and 12, respectively.
- Akselsen earned A-10 Co-Rookie of the Week honors on Monday.
- Junior Peder Kristiansen has recorded five assists in URI's last six games.
- Grad student Tyler Dickson has netted three game-winning goals for Rhody.
The Dayton Series
Dayton leads: 14-9-1
Last meeting: The Flyers defeated the Rams (2-0) on Oct. 22, 2016 in Dayton, Ohio
Current Streak: Dayton, two wins
Rhody's last win: Nov. 13, 2014 (1-0) in Richmond, Va.
Of Note: The last time the Rams and Flyers played in Kingston (Oct. 19, 2014) URI won 1-0 in overtime.
Scouting the Flyers
- Dayton enters the game 4-4-4 on the season and 0-2-1 in the Atlantic 10.
- The Flyers are winless over their last five games, tying both Oakland (1-1) and Saint Louis (2-2) and falling to West Virginia (2-0), St. Bonaventure (1-0) and Davidson (1-0).
- UD is 0-1-4 in overtime games this season.
- The Flyers are averaging 14.7 shots per game while allowing 11.5.
- Dayton has taken 64 corner kicks. It's opponents have combined for 52.
- Nine different players have contributed either a goal or an assist for Dayton so far this season.
- Jonas Fjeldberg leads the team in both goals (3) and total points (7).
- Laurel Aug and Aidan Bean each have scored twice.
- Aug and Daniel Dos Santos are the only players on the team with multiple assists. Each player has two.
- Feferico Barrios has played all 1170:32 in goal for the Flyers. He is 4-4-4 with a 0.77 goals against average and five shutouts.