Posted: Nov 03, 2018
#4 RHODE ISLAND vs. #5 FORDHAM
Sunday, Nov. 4 at 1 p.m.
URI Soccer Complex
Coverage: Live Stats
**Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties, live streaming will not be available
- Fourth-seeded Rhode Island (12-4-0, 5-3-0 A-10) opens Atlantic 10 Championship play Sunday afternoon in a quarterfinal matchup against fifth-seeded Fordham (8-4-4, 4-3-1 A-10).
- Rhody was picked to finish fourth in the A-10's preseason poll while Fordham was predicted to finish first.
- Earlier this season when the teams met, Fordham defeated URI 4-2, in the Atlantic 10 opener for both sides. Senior Dominik Richter and junior Stavros Zarokostas each scored a goal for Rhody in the loss.
- The Rams are 5-4-0 in A-10 tournament games under head coach Gareth Elliott. Last season, Rhody opened the tournament with a 1-0 victory over George Washington before falling to VCU 2-0 in the semifinals.
- The Rams advanced to the conference semifinals in 2017, 2016 and 2015 after making it to the finals in 2014.
- This season, URI went 3-2-0 against teams participating in the championship. The Rams defeated #6 Saint Louis (3-1), #7 Dayton (3-1) and #8 Massachusetts (3-2) but fell to #3 George Mason (2-0) and #5 Fordham (4-2). Rhody has not faced #1 VCU or #2 Davidson yet this year.
- Rhody is led offensively by senior Dominik Richter, who enters the postseason with a team-best 21 points on eight goals and five assists.
- Redshirt freshman Edvin Akselsen is just behind him with seven goals and four assists (18 points).
- Junior Stavros Zarokostas (7g/2a) and senior Chae Brangman (5g/2a) also have double-digit point totals with 16 and 12, respectively.
- Sophomore Peder Kristiansen leads the team in assists, with six.
- Overall, 14 different players have recorded either a goal or an assist for the Rams.
- Freshman goalkeeper Roger Penske is 10-4 on the season with four shutouts and a 1.17 goals against average.
- URI enters the game with the nation's 12th-best scoring offense (2.13 goals per game).
The Fordham Series
- Rhode Island leads: 14-9-2
- Last meeting: Fordham defeated Rhode Island (4-2) on Sept. 29, 2018, in Bronx, N.Y.
- Current Streak: Fordham, five wins.
- URI's last win: October 5, 2014 (1-0) in Bronx, N.Y.
- Of Note: Fordham has outscored Rhode Island 12-2 over the last five meetings between the teams.
- Fordham finished the regular season with an 8-4-4 record, including a 4-3-1 mark in the Atlantic 10.
- The Rams are 5-2-2 when playing on the road this season.
- Fordham has posted a 2-2-0 record against teams participating in the A-10 postseason. The Rams defeated #2 Davidson (2-0) and #4 Rhode Island (4-2) but lost to #7 Dayton (2-0) and #8 Massachusetts (1-0). Fordham has not faced #3 George Mason or #6 Saint Louis.
- The Rams have allowed just 15 goals through 16 games this season.
- Janos Loebe leads the team with 25 points on seven goals and 11 assists.
- Sameer Fathazada and Joergen Oland each have netted five goals for the Rams.
- Goalkeeper Rashid Nuhu has played all but 90 minutes between the posts for Fordham, posting a 0.88 goals against average. He is 7-4-4 with six shutouts to his credit.