NO. 4 RHODE ISLAND (13-4-0)
Starters: Penske (GK), Karterud, Kristiansen, Middrup, Benco, Zarokostas, Jesman Sunde, Dickson, Brangman, Daley, Gaudreau, Akselsen
NO. 5 FORDHAM (8-5-4)
Starters: Nuhu (GK), Ingimarsson, Zuccala, Oland, Kagramanyan, Fathazada, Pieles, Loebe, Sluys, Bohm, Miller
26:34 – URI – Zarokostas (Akselsen)
71:36 – URI – Dickson (Akselsen)
How It Happened
No. 4 Rhode Island (13-4-0) advanced to the Atlantic 10 Championship semifinals by defeating No. 5 Fordham 2-0 Sunday afternoon at the URI Soccer Complex.
The Rams got on the board in the 27th minute when Stavros Zarokostas scored off an assist from Edvin Akselsen. Zarokostas drew the keeper out and then beat him with a shot into the open net.
Rhody extended the lead in the second half, on a header by Tyler Dickson. Akselsen picked up his second assist of the day on the play, which came in the 72nd minute.
Fordham (8-5-4) managed just one shot on goal in the second half as the Rhody defense posted its seventh shutout of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- With the win, Rhode Island advances semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Championship for the fifth year in a row.
- The victory also snapped URI's five-game losing streak against the Bronx Rams. Twice during that span Fordham had eliminated Rhody from the A-10 tournament - in the 2014 championship game as well as the 2016 semifinals.
- Junior Stavros Zarokostas scored his eighth goal of the season, tying him with Dominik Richter for the team lead. Zarokostas now has 52 career points (21 goals/10 assists) in 51 games played.
- Redshirt freshman Edvin Akselsen notched assists on both Rhode Island goals, giving him six for the season. He is tied with junior Peder Kristiansen for the team lead.
- Freshman goalie Roger Penske made seven saves to record the victory. He had six saves in the first half.
- The shutout was Rhode Island's first since a 3-0 win at Providence on Sept. 18.
Rhode Island advances to the A-10 semifinals, where it will take on top-seeded VCU on Friday, Nov. 9 at 2 p.m. (Eastern).