Nov 10, 2018
- Fourth-seeded Rhode Island (14-4-0, 5-3-0 A-10) is making its first appearance in the Atlantic 10 title game sine 2014. That year, Rhody fell to Fordham 1-0 at Sports Backers Stadium in Richmond, Va.
- The Rams advanced to this year's championship game after knocking off regular season champion VCU 1-0 in Friday's first semifinal matchup. Senior Chae Brangman scored the lone goal of the game off an assist from junior Stavros Zarokostas.
- In it's A-10 quarterfinal game, URI defeated preseason favorite Fordham 2-0. Redshirt freshman Edvin Akselsen assisted on both goals - by junior Stavros Zarokostas and grad student Tyler Dickson - while freshman Roger Penske made seven saves in his fifth shutout of the season.
- Since appearing in the A-10 finals in 2014, URI had advanced to the conference semifinals in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
- Rhode Island is 7-4-0 in A-10 tournament games under head coach Gareth Elliott.
- Elliott has been a part of five of URI's six Atlantic 10 Championships, winning two as a player (1999, 2000) and three as an assistant coach (2003, 2005, 2006).
- During the regular season, URI went 3-2-0 against the 2018 Atlantic 10 Championship field. Rhody defeated #6 Saint Louis (3-1), #7 Dayton (3-1) and #8 Massachusetts (3-2). The Rams fell to #3 George Mason (2-0) and #5 Fordham (4-2). Rhode Island did not face top-seeded VCU or second-seeded Davidson this year.
- Rhody is led offensively by senior Dominik Richter, who enters the game with a team-best 21 points on eight goals and five assists.
- Redshirt freshman Edvin Akselsen is just behind him with seven goals and six assists (20 points).
- Junior Stavros Zarokostas (8g/3a) and senior Chae Brangman (6g/2a) also have double-digit point totals with 19 and 14, respectively.
- Richter, Zarokostas and grad student Tyler Dickson each have scored three game-winning goals this season.
- Sophomore Peder Kristiansen and freshman Edvin Akselsen are tied for the team lead in assists, with six each.
- Overall, 14 different players have recorded either a goal or an assist for the Rams.
- Freshman goalkeeper Roger Penske is 12-4 on the season with six shutouts and a 1.03 goals against average.
- URI entered the weekend with the nation's 12th-best scoring offense (2.12 goals per game).
- The Rams, who have jumped in and out of the national polls all season, currently are ranked 21st by Top Drawer Soccer. Rhody also received votes in the most recent United Soccer Coaches and College Soccer News polls.
- Seven different Rhode Island men's soccer players earned Atlantic 10 postseason awards this season. Senior Dominik Richter and junior Peder Kristiansen both were named to the Atlantic 10 First Team while grad student Tyler Dickson, junior Stavros Zarokostas and freshman Edvin Akselsen earned Second Team honors. Akselsen also landed a spot on the All-Rookie squad, alongside classmate Sondre Karterud. Additionally, Kristiansen and junior Niklas Middrup both collected All-Academic accolades.
The George Mason Series
- Tied: 4-4-0
- Last meeting: Mason defeated Rhody (2-0) on Oct. 31, 2018, in Fairfax, Va.
- Current Streak: George Mason, one wins
- Rhode Island's last win: Oct. 29, 2016 (3-1) in Kingston, R.I.
- Of Note: When Rhody fell to Mason earlier this season, the Rams played the final 65 minutes of the game a man down as leading scorer Dominik Richter was red carded midway through the first half.
Scouting the Patriots
- George Mason enters the game with an overall record of 9-7-0.
- The Patriots tied Rhody in conference play, going 5-3-0.
- Mason has won each of its last four games, combining to outscore Davidson (1-0), Rhode Island (2-0), Saint Louis (1-0) and Dayton (1-0) five goals to none.
- The Patriots advanced to Sunday's title game thanks to a pair of 1-0, double-overtime wins against Dayton (semifinals) and Saint Louis (quarterfinals).
- Tunde Akinlosotu leads Mason with 15 points on five goals and five assists.
- Grant Robinson, Ryan Mingachos and Colin Brezniak each enter the game with 12 points. Robinson has recorded five goals and two assists while Mingachos and Brezniak each have four goals and four assists.
- Seven different players have found the back of the net for George Mason this season.
- Opponents are averaging 13.4 shots per game against the Rams and hold a 71-69 advantage in corner kicks.
- Clark Gronek has played 14 of Mason's 16 games this season, posting a 9-5-0 record, a 1.31 goals against average and seven shutouts.