Posted: Nov 08, 2019
- Top-seeded Rhode Island (12-3-2, 7-1-0 A-10) opens Atlantic 10 Championship play Saturday night in a quarterfinal matchup against eighth-seeded Davidson (4-10-2, 3-5-0 A-10).
- The Rams claimed their seventh Atlantic 10 regular season crown by finishing 7-1-0 in league play. Rhody also finished atop the A-10 standings in 1995, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2005 and 2014.
- It is the Rams' second A-10 regular season title under head coach Gareth Elliott, who also led Rhody to a regular season title back in 2014.
- Elliott has now won five Atlantic 10 regular season titles - two as a head coach (2014, 2019), one as an assistant coach (2005) and two as a player for the Rams (1999, 2001).
- Rhody was picked to finish third in the A-10's preseason poll while Davidson was predicted to finish sixth.
- The Rams are 8-4-0 in A-10 tournament games under head coach Gareth Elliott.
- Last season, Rhody won the conference tournament with victories over Fordham (2-0), VCU (1-0) and George Mason (2-0).
- The Rams advanced to the conference also semifinals in 2017, 2016 and 2015 after making it to the finals in 2014.
- This season, URI went 4-1-0 against teams participating in the championship. The Rams defeated #2 VCU (2-1), #5 Fordham (3-1), #6 La Salle (3-2) and #8 Davidson (2-0) but fell to #4 Saint Louis (1-0). Rhody did not face #3 Dayton or #7 George Mason during the regular season.
- Last weekend, Rhode Island traveled to Denver and closed out the regular season with a 2-1 non-conference victory over the Pioneers. Redshirt sophomore Derick Arhin scored the game-winning goal for the Rams in the 98th minute.
- Earlier this season when the teams met, Rhode Island defeated Davidson 2-0, thanks to a pair of late goals by Zach Drayer and Simon Trcka.
- URI, which enters the weekend on an eight-game win streak, is 12-1-1 over its last 14 games.
- Rhody is ranked 23rd in this week's College Soccer News national poll. The Rams also received votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll.
- Through 17 games this year, the Rams have outscored their opponents 28-16.
- Redshirt sophomore Edvin Akselsen ranks third in the nation in assists, with 10 so far this season. He also has scored three goals for 16 total points.
- Junior Filippo Tamburini (7g/3a) and senior Stavros Zarokostas (6g/5a) are tied for the team lead with 17 points each.
- Zarokostas has now recorded double-digit points in each of his four years with the Rams.
- Senior Noam Kolakofsky is the fourth player this season to reach double-digits in the points column as he has 10, on three goals and four assists.
- In total, 15 different players have registered either a goal or an assist this season.
- Redshirt junior Stefan Schmidt has played all 1603:00 so far for Rhode Island, making 73 saves and allowing 16 goals.
- Schmidt's 0.898 goals against average leads the Atlantic 10, as does his .820 save percentage, which ranks 16th nationally.
The Davidson Series
- Rhode Island leads: 2-0-1
- Last meeting: The Rams defeated the Wildcats 2-0 in Kingston, R.I. (Oct. 26, 2019).
- Davidson's last win: N/A
- Of Note: When the Rams and Wildcats met earlier this season - a 2-0 URI victory - Davidson's Mateo Alzate was red carded in the 72nd minute. Rhody scored both of its goals while Davidson was playing a man down.
Scouting the Wildcats
- Davidson enters the game at 4-10-2 overall and 3-5-0 in the Atlantic 10.
- Their last time out, the Wildcats defeated Duquesne 5-0 to put themselves in a five-way tie for the last two spots in the A-10 tournament.
- Prior to the win over the Dukes, Davidson had lost four of its last five.
- The Wildcats have been shut out seven times this season and outscored 25-16.
- Davidson is averaging just 8.8 shots per game while allowing 14.9.
- Ten different Wildcats have contributed either a goal or an assist this season.
- Jamie Diluzio leads the way with 13 points on four goals and a team-best five assists. All four of his goals have come on penalty kicks.
- Justin Stone leads the team with five goals this season. He also has a pair of assists to his credit.
- Sawyer Gaffney has played all but 11:18 between the posts this season. He owns a 1.50 goals against average and a .679 save percentage.