FAIRFAX, VA. - The Rhode Island men's track and field team is in first after day one of competition with 91.5 team points - a comfortable 55 point lead over host George Mason. The Rams had a perfect day in the field competition, winning all four events.
Highlights from Competition
- Casey Burley won his sixth long jump crown after a season best mark of 7.37 meters. He has now raked in seven A-10 titles.
- Adam Franklin (14.66s) and John Stallworth (14.67s) both qualified for the 110 meter hurdles final on Sunday.
- Franklin also qualified for the 400 meter hurdles final in 51.62 seconds. Callan Davies will join him on Sunday after running a qualifying time of 54.87 seconds.
- Marlon Montague (48.16s) and Anthony Delasanta (48.24s) will both compete in the 400 meter final.
- Nigel Hill ran the 100 meter dash preliminary in 10.72 seconds, qualifying for the final on Sunday.
- Hill also qualified for the 200 meter dash final in a prelim 21.51 seconds.
- Drew Nealey sits in first after day one of the decathlon with 3437 total points. He placed first in the long jump (6.53m), first in the shot put (12.38m), first in the high jump (1.92m), fourth in the 400 meter dash (52.86s) and fifth in the 100 meter dash (11.83s).
- Daniel O'Neil is third with 3309 points after day one. He finished second in the 100 meter dash (11.43s), second in the 400 meter dash (51.73s), third in the long jump (6.34m), third in the shot put (11.77m) and sixth in the high jump (1.71m).
- Stephen Cirella is in fifth with 3087 points after placing first in the shot put (13.27m), second in the long jump (6.39m), fifth in the high jump (1.74m), sixth in the 400 meter dash (55.76s), and seventh in the 100 meter dash (12.35s).
- Rhode Island took the 1-2-3-4 in the hammer throw, with Brandon Amo winning his first outdoor title with a mark of 59.89 meters. Mahlik Handley finished second (57.17m), Olusegun Vadis third (55.81m) and Joseph Mattson was fourth (52.03m).
- Joining Burley in the long jump, Eric Wicks (7.00m), Nigel Riley (6.92m), and Trevor Rooney (6.91m) also earned points for the Rams.
- Ryan Wilkes won the pole vault after clearing 5.00 meters. Ondrej Honka (4.85m) and William Thibault (4.70m) also placed for points.
- Nick Danner won the javelin with a throw of 63.44 meters. Greg McManus placed second with a mark of 62.56 meters. Cam Reed (55.88m) and Drew Nealey (53.26m) also earned points for Rhody.