Melendez, Wallack, Cloutier, Thomas, Gaspar
Saint Joseph's Starters:
Gotfrida, Shields, Cila, van Grinsven, Berger
Points: Melendez (21)
Rebounds: Gaspar (10)
Assists: Gaspar (3)
Steals: Bullard (2)
Blocked Shots: None
Minutes Played: Melendez (35)
Saint Joseph's Leaders:
Points: van Grinsven (18)
Rebounds: van Grinsven (9)
Assists: Shields, Vila, Cloud (4)
Steals: van Grinsven (2)
Blocked Shots: van Grinsven, Fairbanks (2)
Minutes Played: Shields (33)
How it Happened:
Saint Joseph's led by 10 (17-7) after six and a half minutes of play and pushed the advantage to 20 (35-15) with 4:12 remaining in the first half. Rhode Island headed into the break trailing 38-21. The Rams cut the deficit to 14 (45-29) after the first four minutes of the second half, but 9-2 run put SJU ahead by 21 (54-33) and the Hawks led by 20 or more the rest of the way.
Inside the Box Score:
- With the win, Saint Joseph's improves to 15-5 (6-0). Rhode Island, meanwhile, falls to 5-16 (0-6).
- Freshman Tayra Melendez led the Rams in scoring for the fourth time in the last five games. She finished with a career-high 21 points while also adding seven rebounds.
- Melendez is just the second Ram to reach the 20-point mark in a game this season as classmate Samantha Tabakman also did so when she scored 23 against Maine on December 8.
- Senior Lara Gaspar matched her season-best with a game-high 10 rebounds for the Rams. She also led Rhode Island with three assists.
- As a team, URI committed a season-low eight turnovers.
- SJU dished out 22 assists to Rhody's seven.
- The Hawks also held a 28-21 advantage in rebounding and were 55% (31-56) from the field and 86% (12-14) from the line. URI connected at a 32-percent clip (18-56) from the field and was 14-21 (67%) from the charity stripe.
- Chatilla van Grinsven led Saint Joseph's with 18 points and nine rebounds. Erin Shields also scored in double figures for the Hawks, finishing with 14 points.
The Rams are back in action on Thursday night when they travel to Butler for a 7 p.m. meeting with the Bulldogs.