Melendez, Wallack, Whittaker, Lewis, T. Johnson
Powell, Healy, Soppe, King, Okoro
Points: Lewis (11)
Rebounds: Wallack (9)
Assists: Whittaker (3)
Steals: Whittaker (3)
Blocked Shots: T. Johnson (2)
Minutes Played: Melendez, Whittaker (37)
Points: Healy, King (9)
Rebounds: Okoro (12)
Assists: Healy (3)
Steals: Healy (3)
Blocked Shots: Okoro, Healy, King (2)
Minutes Played: Healy (33)
How it Happened:
After falling behind by as many as 14 in the second half, Rhode Island (5-10, 0-2 A-10) got within one point, but eventually fell 49-43 to Richmond Sunday.
Richmond (7-8, 1-1 A-10) started the second half making eight of its first 11 shots to build a 14-point lead with just under nine minutes to go. However, the Rams used a 12-0 run to get back into the game. A pair of free throws by senior Kerry Wallack made the score 44-43 with 2:11 remaining. From there, Richmond scored the final five points of the game to close out the win.
Inside the Box Score:
- Junior Teneka Whittaker made her first start of the season. She responded with three points, three assists and a career-high eight rebounds in 37 minutes.
- Kerry Wallack just missed her fourth double-double of the season, finishing with 10 points and nine rebounds.
- Junior Sydney Lewis scored a game-high 11 points and made the first 3-pointer of her career. That shot keyed the Rams' 12-0 second half run.
- After Richmond made made eight of its first 11 shots in the second half, Rhody limited the Spiders to 1-for-8 from the floor the rest of the way.
- Rhody's defense continues to play well. This was the fifth straight game the opponent has been held below 55 points.
- Rhode Island again won the rebound battle, 41-33. It was the 13th time in 15 games the Rams have outrebounded the opponent.
Stat of the Game:
188 – Total Number of shots Sydney Lewis had taken in her career before making her first 3-point basket.
Rhody stays on the road for a trip to Saint Joseph's for a matinee Wednesday, Jan. 8. Game time is scheduled for 11:30 a.m.