Ross, Moffitt, Vargas, Streeter, Jorgensen
George Mason Starters
Bolton, Cardano-Hillary, Dodson, Kaminski, Butler
How It Happened
Rhode Island could not keep up with George Mason, falling 92-53 in Atlantic 10 play Sunday afternoon.
The visiting Patriots (14-4, 3-1 A-10) scored at least 20 points in each quarter, using a balanced attack to keep Rhody (2-16, 0-5 A-10) at a distance throughout. Four different Patriots scored in double digits, led by 22 points from Nicole Cardano-Hillary and 15 from Natalie Butler.
With its first basket of the second quarter, George Mason established a double-digit lead that it never relinquished. The deficit reached as high as 20 points before halftime, and Rhode Island was unable to get closer than 16 points the rest of the way.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Abby Streeter led the Rams with 14 points, connecting on four attempts from long range.
- Sophomore Nicole Jorgensen registered her third double-double of the season, finishing with 12 points and 11 rebounds in 23 minutes before fouling out. It marked the 11th time this season she scored in double figures and the fourth time she grabbed double-digit rebounds.
- Freshman Maia Moffitt grabbed six rebounds while also recording four points and a pair of steals.
- Rhode Island committed 30 turnovers in the loss, which led directly to 36 points for the Patriots. It was the 10th time this season that the Rams turned the ball over at least 20 times, and the third game with 30 or more turnovers.
- The Rams managed just nine points in the fourth quarter, marking the 14th time this season they score single-digit points in a period.
- George Mason held the advantage in rebounding (51-30), steals (17-10), assists (19-12), bench points (30-14), points in the paint (36-24) and fast break points (8-2).
- Mason's Natalie Butler - the nation's leading rebounder - finished with 15 points and 16 rebounds. It marked her 17th double-double of the season.
- Nicole Cardano-Hillary recorded a game-high 22 points. The freshman guard also had seven steals and seven assists for the Patriots.
Stat of the Game
41 - Mason took its largest lead of the game - 41 points - on its last basket of the afternoon.
Rhode Island returns to action Wednesday night at St. Bonaventure.