Colome, Ross, Moffitt, Vargas, Jorgensen
Bradshaw, Ward, Chandler, Cannatelli, Scaife
How It Happened
Rhode Island (7-14, 2-7 Atlantic 10) battled, but it could not keep up with Dayton. The Rams lost 74-62 Sunday afternoon.
Junior Lauren Cannatelli scored 13 of her game-high 24 points in the first quarter, helping Dayton get out to a 22-12 lead after one quarter. From there, the play was even on both sides. The Flyers managed to get ahead by as many as 21 points, but Rhode Island had a chance to get back to single digits in the final minutes.
In the end, Dayton improved to 11-8 overall and 6-2 in league play. Rhode Island dropped its fifth in a row.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior Elemy Colome led Rhode Island with 18 points. She was 6-of-6 at the free throw line.
- Junior Nicole Jorgensen had 11 points and eight rebounds before fouling out. She also blocked four shots.
- Jorgensen's third rebound of the day was the 500th of her career.
- Redshirt junior Davida Dale finished with eight points, nine rebounds and three steals.
- Sophomore Marta Vargas had eight points, four rebounds and three assists, while classmate Maia Moffitt had seven points.
- The teams combined for 43 turnovers. Rhode Island had 23, while Dayton committed 20. The Flyers had a 24-15 edge in points off turnovers.
- Dayton senior Lauren Cannatelli scored a game-high 24 points. She made five 3-pointers, giving her 235 for her career and leaving her just five shy of the Flyers' all-time record.
Rhode Island is on the road to face La Salle Wednesday, Feb. 6. Game time is 11 a.m.