Dale, Moffitt, Vargas, Jones, Jorgensen
Johnson, Thomas, Sanford, Misir, Perkins
How it Happened
Tammi Reiss led Rhode Island to a win in her head coaching debut as the Rams eased their way past visiting LIU 79-56 Thursday night at the Ryan Center.
URI trailed for just 1:36 of the game, and never by more than one point. Davida Dale put Rhody ahead for good late in the first quarter, hitting a jumper that gave her team a 14-13 advantage. The Rams then closed the period on a 9-3 run and carried the momentum into the second half, where they outscored the Sharks 26-10 to take a 48-27 lead into the break.
Rhode Island returned from the locker room and held LIU to just one make from the field through the first six minutes of the third quarter. At the other end of the court, the Rams extended their lead to 29 points on a basket by Nicole Jorgensen with just over two minutes remaining in the period.
LIU cut the deficit to 18 midway through the fourth quarter, but that was as close as it got as Rhody cruised to the 79-56 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- For the game, Rhode Island was an impressive 52.8 percent from the field, connecting on 28-of-53 attempts, including 6-of-16 (37.5%) from long range.
- The Rams also dominated the glass, out-rebounding LIU by a 46-27 margin.
- Senior Nicole Jorgensen scored a game-high 29 points on 12-for-15 shooting. She also grabbed six rebounds and blocked two shots.
- Redshirt junior Erin Jones matched her career high in points (12) and set new career bests in both rebounds (7) and assists (3). She was 6-for-8 from the foul line.
- Junior Marta Vargas and redshirt senior Davida Dale each added 10 points for the Rams. Dale also had seven rebounds, six assists, four steals and one block while Vargas dished out five assists of her own.
- Junior Maia Moffitt led URI with 10 rebounds on the night.
- Freshmen Brazil Harvey-Carr and Kassondra Brown made their collegiate debuts in the win. Brown added seven points, seven rebounds and one steal in 19 minutes of action while Harvey-Carr had six points, four rebounds and one assist.
The Rams are back in action Sunday afternoon at Hartford. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.