How it Happened
Rhode Island (0-2) got the potential tying and go-ahead runs on base in the bottom of the seventh, but the Rams came up just short in a 3-2 loss to Delaware State Friday night.
After Delaware State (1-1) struck first with a single run in the top of the third, Rhody responded with a pair of runs in the bottom of the inning. Paige Julich got the rally started with a leadoff walk, and Marylynn Muldowney followed with an infield single. After one out, Ali Summers loaded the bases with another infield hit. Kylie Shivery brought in Julich and Muldowney with a two-out single up the middle.
In the top of the fifth, Delaware State got its leadoff batter on base when Nicole Gazzola reached on an error and stole second. Chloe Oro followed with a single. A single by Sandy Hawthorne brought in both runners and put the Hornets in front, 3-2.
Rhode Island got the potential tying run in scoring position in the bottom of the seventh. Julich was hit by a pitch and moved to second on a two-out single by Jenna Cubello. Delaware State's Nicole Brock induced a groundout to end the threat and the game.
Inside the Box Score:
- Sophomore Kylie Shivery is off to a hot start on the year. With a single, walk and two runs batted in, she had three hits, two walks and six RBI on the day.
- Junior Ali Summers extended her hitting streak to 10 games with an infield single in the third inning.
- Sophomore Paige Julich reached base three times as she singled, walked and was hit by a pitch. She also scored one run.
- Junior Marylynn Muldowney singled and scored one run.
- Junior Jenna Cubello had a single.
- Senior Caitlin Kennedy (0-1) hurled the 15th complete game of her career, allowing two earned runs on nine hits. She struck out two and walked just one batter.
- Delaware State's Nicole Gazzola had two singles, two runs scored and three stolen bases in the leadoff spot.
Stat of the Day
.308 – Rhode Island hit .308 (4-for-13) with runners on base. The Rams were 1-for-13 with the bases empty.
Rhode Island is back in action at the Lafayette Ford Lincoln of Fayetteville Showcase with a pair of games Saturday. The Rams play host UNC Wilmington at 12:30 p.m. and then see Delaware State again at 5:30 p.m.