How it Happened
Rhode Island (9-12, 1-2 Atlantic 10) struggled to get its offense going again as it dropped the rubber game of the three-game series 4-1 at George Mason Saturday.
George Mason (13-10, 2-1 A-10) got on the board early, striking for three runs with two outs in the bottom of the first. With runners on first and second, Samantha Zaccari drove in the first run with a single, and both runners moved into scoring position on the throw. After a walk loaded the bases, Jess Middleton hit a two-run singled to push the lead to 3-0 before the final out was recorded.
Rhody got one run back in the top of the fifth when a George Mason error allowed pinch runner Olivia Hendricks to score from third base on an error. That was all the scoring the Rams did, as George Mason pitchers Sarah Kleinfelter and Marina Vitalich combined to scatter five singles.
Inside the Box Score:
- Madi Housel singled twice to record her second multi-hit game of the season.
- Ali Summers singled and walked. She has now reached base safely in 13 straight games, and her on-base percentage for the season is up to .468.
- Jenna Cubello singled.
- Taylor Archer singled to extend her hitting streak to four games.
- Marylynn Muldowney walked once.
- Olivia Hendricks scored as a pinch runner for the third time in four games.
Stat of the Game
2-of-17 – Of Rhode Island's 17 hits in the three-game series, only two went for extra bases. Both of the extra base hits were doubles by Lauren Klepchick.
Rhode Island returns home to host a non-conference doubleheader against Maine Wednesday, April 3. The first game starts at 2 p.m.