How It Happened
Sophomore Becca Rogers went the distance, limiting Tennessee State to three hits to lead Rhode Island to a 3-1 victory over Tennessee State at the Belmont/TSU Invitational Friday.
With Rogers shutting down Tennessee State, the Rams (2-14) broke a scoreless tie in the top of the fifth inning. Kylie Shivery delivered a two-run single with two outs to drive in Abigail Bates and Rebecca Simms.
An inning later, Melanie Martire padded the lead with an RBI double to the gap in left center. Caileigh Holland scored on the play, giving the Rams a 3-0 lead.
Tennessee State got a solo home run from Reese Weber with one out in the sixth inning, but Rogers retired five of the final six batters she faced to earn the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Becca Rogers struck out a career-high 11 batters while hurling her third complete game of the season. She allowed just three hits and three walks.
- Senior Kylie Shivery and sophomore Erika Yeager each singled twice. Shivery had a pair of RBI, giving her 92 for her career.
- Freshman Abigail Bates doubled and scored one run.
- Redshirt sophomore Melanie Martire doubled and drove in one run.
- Sophomore Emily Zembik, sophomore Erica Robles and senior Paige Julich each singled once.
- Freshman Olivia Daniel delivered a pinch-hit single. She is now 2-for-3 as a pinch hitter.
- The Rams played a clean game in the field, not making an error for the sixth time this year.
Stat of the Game
11 – Junior Becca Rogers struck out a career-high 11 batters. Her previous career best was nine against Liberty on March 10, 2017.
Rhode Island plays Ball State Friday night at 8 p.m.