How It Happened
Rhode Island (9-23) got strong pitching from Sarah Gunderson and Julia Waraksy as it knocked off in-state rival Brown 3-1 Wednesday afternoon.
The Rams scored twice in the top of the first inning, using small ball to get its offense going early. Abigail Bates and Paige Julich reached on back-to-back bunt singles to start the game. On Julich's bunt, Bates went from first to third, setting up runners at the corners. Bates came in on an RBI groundout by Abby Fenbert. Julich – who advanced to second on the groundout – stole third and then came in on a sacrifice fly by Erika Yeager.
From there, it was Gunderson and Waraksy holding Brown (8-18) at bay. The pitchers limited Brown to five hits, only one of which was an extra base hit. That came on a solo home run in the bottom of the first by Meghan Wimmer.
Rhody added an insurance run in the top of the seventh. Julich drew a one-out walk, moved to second on a groundout and came in to score when Erica Robles laced a doubled down the left field line.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Sarah Gunderson (3-5) pitched four strong innings, allowing just one run on three hits. Gunderson struck out two and did not walk any batters.
- Junior Julia Waraksy earned her first save of the season and the second of her career by pitching 3.0 scoreless innings. She has allowed just 10 earned runs in 29.0 innings of work this season.
- Senior Bri Castro singled and walked in two plate appearances.
- Freshman Hannah DeSousa singled twice and also recorded 11 putouts at first base.
- Senior Paige Julich singled, walked twice, scored two runs and stole one base.
- Freshman Abigail Bates singled and scored one run.
- Sophomore Erica Robles doubled, singled and drove in one run. She now is tied for the team lead in doubles with six and has a team-best 21 runs batted in.
- Sophomore Erika Yeager and freshman Abby Fenbert each had one run batted in.
- Rhode Island's starting lineup included seven players who are either freshmen or sophomores. DeSousa (1B), Bates (LF) and Fenbert (DP) are all freshmen, while Gunderson (P), Robles (SS), Yeager (2B) and Caileigh Holland (CF) are all in their second season.
Stat of the Day
6 – Senior Paige Julich recorded her sixth stolen base of the season in eight attempts. In her first three seasons combined, Julich had five steals in eight attempts.
Rhode Island hosts Fordham in a three-game series at the URI Softball Complex this weekend. The teams will play a doubleheader Saturday starting at noon, and then a single game Sunday at noon.