How It Happened
Rhode Island battled Big 10 host Maryland from start to finish, but it came up just short in a back-and-forth contest, falling 6-4 at the Maryland Invitational Thursday night.
Rhode Island (7-10) jumped out to a 3-0 in the first inning. Sami Villarreal led off the game with a solo home run. Ari Castillo had a one-out double, and then, with two outs, Susan Harrison launched her first career home run, a two-run shot.
Maryland (14-11) got on the board in the bottom of the third. Micaela Abbatine led off with an infield single and moved to second when Jojo McRae walked. A flyout and a fielder's choice put runners on the corners with two outs, but Anna Kufta singled to drive in Abbatine and make the score 3-1.
The Terrapins took the lead in the next inning with a three-run rally that started with two outs. Regan Kerr singled up the middle and scored on Taylor Wilson's double to right field. Abbatine followed with a home run, making it 4-3 Maryland.
Rhody evened the game in the top of the fifth with her second home run of the game. However, Maryland came right back with a pair in the bottom of the fifth. An infield single and walk put the first two runners on base. Taylor Okada advanced to third base on a flyout, then scored on a wild pitch. A two-out single by Bailey Boyd drove in Amanda Brashear to again put Maryland up, 6-4.
The Rams got the potential tying run to the plate in each of the last two innings. In the top of the sixth, Leah Krivitsy drew a one-out walk, but Villarreal hit into a 6-4-3 double play to end the frame. Rhody got a two-out walk from Erica Robles in the seventh, but Harrison struck out to end the game, as URI saw its four game win streak come to an end.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Susan Harrison hit the first two home runs of her career. She finished with three runs batted in.
- Freshman Sami Villarrel's home run was her second of the season. She now has 19 hits and 12 runs scored through the first 17 games of her career.
- Freshman Faith Musselwhite had a pair of singles, extending her hitting streak to eight games.
- Freshman Ari Castillo doubled, walked and scored one run.
- Redshirt freshman Leah Krivitsky drew a pair of walks. She has walked five times in her last five games.
- Senior Julia Waraksy pitched 1.1 scoreless innings of relief. She has not allowed a run over her last four appearances, throwing 6.1 innings while scattering eight hits.
Rhode Island plays Drexel (12:30 p.m.) and Villanova (5:30 p.m.) Friday on Day Two of the Maryland Invitational.