How It Happened
Rhode Island got a one-hit shutout from junior Sarah Gunderson as it pounded Saint Peter's, 8-0, on the final day of the Maryland Invitational.
Gunderson (3-4) was superb on the day, going the distance while striking out seven batters. The only hit she allowed was a double to Alyssa Mido to lead off the second inning. Gunderson retired the side in five of the six innings.
She received plenty of support, as the Rams (10-10) scored once in the second inning, three times in the third, twice in the fourth and then two more times in the sixth to end the game early.
The victory was the eighth in 10 games for Rhode Island.
Inside the Box Score
- With the victory, Rhode Island improved to 10-10. It is the first time the Rams have been .500 after 20 games since 2003.
- Freshman Sami Villarreal doubled twice and singled. She also scored once and drove in a run.
- Junior Erica Robles and freshman Susan Harrison each doubled, singled and scored two runs. Robles drove in one and Harrison had two RBI.
- Freshman Ari Castillo singled twice, walked once scored twice and had one RBI.
- Freshman Faith Musselwhite doubled and walked.
- Senior Rebecca Simms doubled and had one RBI.
- Junior Erika Yeager singled and drove in a run.
- Senior Adriana Toro singled, scored and had one RBI.
Rhode Island plays at home for the first time this season when it hosts Brown in a single game Wednesday, March 20. Game time is 4:45 p.m.