How It Happened
Rhode Island junior Sarah Gunderson pitched her second straight shutout to lead the Rams to their fourth straight victory, a 3-0 win over Brown Wednesday afternoon.
Gunderson scattered five hits and did not allow a hit while improving her record to 4-4 on the season. The Rhody offense gave her single runs in each of the first three innings to provide the margin of victory.
In the bottom of the first, Sami Villarreal drew a leadoff walk and stole second base. She scored when Ari Castillo roped a double to left field. Rhode Island (11-10) extended the lead in the second when Erika Yeager reach on a single and came all the way around on Rebecca Simms' double to right center.
The final run came in the third when Erica Robles and Susan Harrison hit back-to-back two-out doubles. From there, Gunderson did the rest.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Sarah Gunderson struck out five batters while extending her scoreless innings streak to 15.2 innings. She lowered her earned run average to 2.83.
- This was Rhode Island's fifth shutout pitched on the season. The Rams have been shut out just twice.
- Senior Rebecca Simms and freshmen Ari Castillo and Susan Harrison each doubled and drove in one run.
- Junior Erica Robles doubled and scored once.
- Junior Erika Yeager singled and scored one run.
- Freshman Sami Villarreal walked twice, stole one base and scored one run.
- As a team, the Rams now have 29 doubles through 21 games.
Rhode Island opens Atlantic 10 play this weekend with a three-game series at Saint Joseph's. The teams play a doubleheader Saturday that begins at noon.