How It Happened
Rhode Island (11-13, 0-3 Atlantic 10) was defeated in both ends of a doubleheader at Saint Joseph's, falling 15-0 and 10-1 Sunday afternoon.
Game 1 – Saint Joseph's 15, Rhode Island 0 (5)
Sloppy defense by the Rams led to 12 unearned runs for Saint Joseph's. The Hawks put the game away with a 10-run second inning and followed that up with five more in the third. Saint Joseph's scored 15 runs while getting 10 hits and drawing five walks. Jancarla Herrera had a three-run double to start the big second-inning rally, while Molly Kapala added three hits, four runs batted in and three runs scored in the opener.
Game 2 – Saint Joseph's 10, Rhode Island 1 (5)
Saint Joseph's jumped out early, getting three runs in the bottom of the first inning. A seven-run third inning removed all doubt as the Hawks cruised to the doubleheader sweep. Rhody got on the board in the top of the fifth when Alex Pleasic delivered a pinch-hit RBI double, but that was all the scoring the Rams produced on the day.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Ari Castilli and junior Erica Robles each had a double and a single on the day. Castillo added a walk as she increased her team-leading batting average to .394.
- Senior Adriana Toro scored Rhode Island's lone run of the day. She also singled and walked.
- Junior Alex Pleasic had a pinch-hit double to drive in Toro in the second game. It was the first hit and RBI of her career.
- Junior Erika Yeager had a single in the first game.
- Freshman Sami Villerreal had a single and two walks on the day. With 23 walks on the season, she already is just eight away from Rhode Island's single-season record.
- Of the 25 runs Saint Joseph's scored Sunday, only seven were earned.
Rhode Island is off until Wednesday, when it plays at in-state rival Providence. Game time is 3 p.m.