How It Happened
A two-out run in the bottom of the first inning was the difference in the game as Dayton blanked Rhode Island, 1-0 in the series opener Friday afternoon.
After the first two batters were retired, Dayton (15-16, 5-1 Atlantic 10) got a walk from Lisa Tassi. She stole second base, then came around to score when Julia Blarr singled.
Rhode Island (11-16, 0-4 Atlantic 10) only managed to get two runners in scoring position, neither of which got past second base. Erika Yeager had a one-out double in the third inning, but was stranded there. In the fourth inning, Erica Robles singled with one out, and with two outs Alex Pleasic had an infield single. However, a strikeout ended the inning.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Becca Rogers (6-6) was the tough-luck loser. She went the distance, allowing just four hits and one run. She had five strikeouts.
- Junior Erika Yeager had a double and recorded eight putouts at first base.
- Juniors Erica Robles and Alex Pleasic each had one single. Robles also drew Rhody's lone walk of the game.
- Dayton pitcher Jessica Gilliam (7-7) pitched a complete game and struck out 11 batters. She faced just four batters over the minimum.
- Rhode Island has scored six runs combined over its last six games.
Rhode Island and Dayton have two more games remaining in the series. The weather in Dayton will be monitored this evening, and a decision on whether the teams play tomorrow or Sunday will be made later Friday night.