How It Happened
Rhode Island (13-20, 2-7 Atlantic 10) took a pair of losses in a key doubleheader against St. Bonaventure (7-23, 4-8 A-10) Saturday.
Game 1 – St. Bonaventure 3, Rhode Island 1
The Rams snapped a scoreless tie in the bottom of the fifth inning when Erika Yeager lofted a sacrifice fly to centerfield to drive in Rebecca Simms. However, St. Bonaventure scored twice in the top of the sixth when Alexandra Piergustavo delivered a two-run single to right field with two outs in the inning. The Bonnies added an insurance run in the top of the seventh and held on for the win.
Game 2 – St. Bonaventure 5, Rhode Island 4
The Rams rallied from a three-run deficit, but could not finish the comeback. Trailing 4-1 in the bottom of the fifth inning, Rhody got a one-out solo home run from Faith Musselwhite to cut the deficit to two runs. After Caileigh Holland doubled, Ari Castillo launched a two-run shot to left center to tie the game.
In the seventh, Alexandra Deal reached on an error to lead off the inning for the Bonnies. She stole second and got to third when Brooke Kane-Walker reached on a bunt single. A groundout by Grace Perechinsky brought in the winning run.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Ari Castillo led the Rhody offense with a home run and a single on the day. She raised her slugging percentage to .622.
- Fellow freshman Faith Musselwhite hit her sixth home run of the season, tying her with Susan Harrison for the team lead.
- Senior Rebecca Simms had a pair of singles, one run scored and one RBI on the day.
- Sophomore Hannah DeSousa entered the second game as an injury replacement and delivered a single. She also recorded five putouts.
- Sophomore Riley Kernan took the loss in the second game despite another strong outing. She allowed one hit and no earned runs over 4.2 innings. Over her last 18.2 innings of work, Kernan has allowed just 14 hits and two earned runs.
Rhode Island plays a single game againt St. Bonaventure to close out the series Sunday at noon.