How It Happened
Rhode Island salvaged the final game of its three-game series against La Salle, blanking the Explorers 2-0 in the fastest game of the season.
The Rams (16-28, 5-13 Atlantic 10) needed just one hour and 11 minutes to notch the victory. Senior Becca Rogers pitched her third complete-game shutout of the season and Erica Robles provided a two-run home run in the first inning for the only runs of the day.
In the bottom of the first, Ari Castillo lined a double down the right field line with two outs. Robles then launched a shot to left center to put the Rams ahead, 2-0. From there, Rogers took care of the rest, limiting La Salle (12-30, 5-15 A-10) to five singles while recording the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Becca Rogers improved to 9-8 on the season. She went the distance, allowing no extra base hits or walks while striking out four batters. Rogers needed just 88 pitches on the day.
- Junior Erica Robles hit her sixth home run of the season. It was Rhode Island's 32nd home run, tying the program record for most in a season. The 2010 Rams had 32 long balls in 54 games.
- Freshman Ari Castillo had another multi-hit game, getting a double and single in three at-bats. She raised her batting average to .397, which would be the third highest single-season mark in program history.
- Castillo has 14 multi-hit games this season. The double was her 12th of the year.
- Sophomore Hannah DeSousa had a single.
Rhode Island will wrap up its season with a three-game series at Fordham that begins with a doubleheader on Saturday, May 4. First pitch is set for 12 p.m.