How It Happened
Becca Rogers pitched a shutout in the first game of a doubleheader as Rhode Island split two games with Fordham Saturday. Rhody (17-29, 6-14 Atlantic 10) took the opener, 1-0, before Fordham (26-23, 16-6 A-10) responded with an 8-5 victory in the second game.
Game 1 - Rhode Island 1, Fordham 0
Becca Rogers pitched a five-hit shutout and Adriana Toro delivered a pinch-hit single in the top of the seventh for the lone run of the game to key the win. Hannah DeSousa singled to start the inning and was lifted for pinch runner Taylor Briggs. A sacrifice bunt by Rebecca Simms moved Briggs to second before Toro lined a shot to the gap in right center, bringing Briggs in from second.
Fordham loaded the bases in the seventh. Sarah Taffett blooped a single over third base to lead off the frame. After the next two batters were retired, Becca Rogers hit consecutive batters, allowing Chelsea Skrepenak and Jordy Storm to reach. Rogers engaged in a long battle with Molly Roark that featured a handful of foul balls with two strikes. However, Rogers induced a grounder to third base that Erica Robles handled cleanly to end the game.
Game 2 - Fordham 8, Rhode Island 5
With the score tied 1-1 heading into the bottom of the fifth, Fordham broke the game open with a five-run rally. Fordham retook the lead in the bottom of the fifth. A bunt single by Julia Martine started things off, and she moved around to third on a one-out single by Deanna Burbridge. Chelsea Skrepenak executed a squeeze bunt to bring Martine in. Molly Roarke added a two-run single to pad the Fordham lead. Fordham added two more runs before the rally ended.
Rhode Island cut into the lead in the top of the sixth. Singles by Ari Castillo, Erica Robles and Adriana Toro loaded the bases. Sarah Gunderson lined a double to the gap in right center to clear the bases and get Rhody within two runs. Fordham pushed the lead back to four runs by scoring twice in bottom of the sixth to help ice the game.
Inside the Box Score
- The victory in Game One snapped a 12-game losing streak to Fordham. It was Rhode Island's first win against Fordham since a doubleheader sweep in 2012.
- Senior Becca Rogers (10-8) hurled her fifth shutout of the season, scattering five hits. She struck out four batters and walked just one.
- Senior Adriana Toro had two pinch hits on the day. She delivered a pinch-hit RBI single in the first game that produced the only run of the game. Toro added a single and scored a run in the second game.
- Junior Alex Pleasic doubled in the first game and added a single in the second game. She scored a run in the second game.
- Senior Rebecca Simms singled and had a sacrifice bunt.
- Sophomore Hannah DeSousa singled in the opener.
- Junior Erika Yeager singled in Game One. She walked and had her eighth sacrifice bunt of the season in the second game.
- Junior Erica Robles singled four times on the day. She scored once in the second game.
- Freshman Susan Harrison singled in the opener and had a sacrifice fly in the second game.
- Junior Sarah Gunderson doubled, drew a pair of walks and drove in three runs in the second game.
- Freshman Taylor Briggs appeared as a pinch runner and scored in the first game.
- Freshman Ari Castillo hit a solo home run, singled and scored twice in the second game.
Rhode Island finishes its season with a single game at Fordham Sunday. First pitch is set for noon.